* [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-06-25  9:13 Brian Vito
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Brian Vito @ 2012-06-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
contents of the acme snarf buffer? If so, is there a way to have that
window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes? Basically,
I'm wondering if there is a way to duplicate the functionality that
was generally present in old Macintosh text editors under the show
clipboard command. Finally, if this functionality is available, would
it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
contents of the snarf buffer itself (as was possible in Nisus's old
editor QUED/M)?

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-06-25  9:58 ` Justin Bedo
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Justin Bedo @ 2012-06-25  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> contents of the acme snarf buffer? If so, is there a way to have that
> window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes? Basically,
> I'm wondering if there is a way to duplicate the functionality that
> was generally present in old Macintosh text editors under the show
> clipboard command. Finally, if this functionality is available, would
> it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> contents of the snarf buffer itself (as was possible in Nisus's old
> editor QUED/M)?

Under Plan 9 there's /dev/snarf.

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-06-25 10:24 ` Richard Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-06-25 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> contents of the acme snarf buffer?

/dev/snarf

> If so, is there a way to have that
> window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes?

Not quite automatically. You can write a program which polls /dev/snarf
using fstat(2); qid.vers will be updated when the file is written to.

> would
> it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> contents of the snarf buffer itself

Just as with any acme window, the underlying file will only change
when you click Put.  Again if you're willing to do some programming,
you could monitor changes in the window using the acme event file
and do the Put automatically.

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-06-29  8:54 ` Stephen Wiley
       [not found] ` <392578302362604520.663215theswiley-me.com@reader443.eternal-sept>
From: Stephen Wiley @ 2012-06-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Brian Vito <brian.vito@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> contents of the acme snarf buffer? If so, is there a way to have that
> window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes? Basically,
> I'm wondering if there is a way to duplicate the functionality that
> was generally present in old Macintosh text editors under the show
> clipboard command. Finally, if this functionality is available, would
> it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> contents of the snarf buffer itself (as was possible in Nisus's old
> editor QUED/M)?

isn't there a snarf file in the filesystem served bu rio?

--
--Sent from my iphone

@ 2012-06-29 13:15   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-06-29 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> > there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> > contents of the acme snarf buffer? If so, is there a way to have that
> > window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes? Basically,
> > I'm wondering if there is a way to duplicate the functionality that
> > was generally present in old Macintosh text editors under the show
> > clipboard command. Finally, if this functionality is available, would
> > it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> > contents of the snarf buffer itself (as was possible in Nisus's old
> > editor QUED/M)?
>
> isn't there a snarf file in the filesystem served bu rio?

it doesn't have the properties the op requested.  a read at eof doesn't
hang until the contents of the file have changed.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-06-29 13:55     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-06-29 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:15:01 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> > > Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> > > there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> > > contents of the acme snarf buffer? If so, is there a way to have that
> > > window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes? Basically,
> > > I'm wondering if there is a way to duplicate the functionality that
> > > was generally present in old Macintosh text editors under the show
> > > clipboard command. Finally, if this functionality is available, would
> > > it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> > > contents of the snarf buffer itself (as was possible in Nisus's old
> > > editor QUED/M)?
> >
> > isn't there a snarf file in the filesystem served bu rio?
>
> it doesn't have the properties the op requested.  a read at eof doesn't
> hang until the contents of the file have changed.

If manual update is acceptable he could add "Get" to the tag line.

I guess a simple polling program could be written for acme, but many
uses of the selection while you're editing the text would end up
overwriting your edit.

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <392578302362604520.663215theswiley-me.com@reader443.eternal-sept>
@ 2012-07-12  8:52 ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2012-07-12  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Jun 25, 5:24 am, 9f...@hamnavoe.com (Richard Miller) wrote:
> > Using either/both acme under Plan 9 and/or Mac OS X via plan9port, is
> > there a "file" that can be opened in acme that displays the current
> > contents of the acme snarf buffer?
>
> /dev/snarf
>
> > If so, is there a way to have that
> > window automatically update when the snarf buffer changes?
>
> Not quite automatically. You can write a program which polls /dev/snarf
> using fstat(2); qid.vers will be updated when the file is written to.
>
> > would
> > it be possible that by editing the snarf buffer window to edit the
> > contents of the snarf buffer itself
>
> Just as with any acme window, the underlying file will only change
> when you click Put.  Again if you're willing to do some programming,
> you could monitor changes in the window using the acme event file
> and do the Put automatically.

Thank you -- these are useful suggestions. Is there an equivalent to /
dev/snarf when using plan9port under Mac OS X?

[bv]

* Re: [9fans] Show/edit acme snarf buffer
@ 2012-07-12 13:16   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-07-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

this is one outdated solution: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/osxsnarf/