From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Loongson port, and 64 bit MIPS
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 07:24:24 +0200	[thread overview]

> This kernel has an in-kernel bzfs including binaries like sam, acme
> and the compiler (so it is a little big in size).

This is valiant (not dissimilar in intent from miller's 9pi) and
useful, but in my opinion you'll get a lot more support from people
who like me are willing to build the system from scratch.

There are three issues that strike me here: 1.  if I understand the
9front-loader, you have built something that resembles it; 2.  if you
did, it would be nice to converge your version and theirs (I remember
you did a lot of work building the bzroot that 9front (and 9pi) may
want to adopt and 3.  more specifically, your understanding of how a
boot image is build could benefit the way 9pi is constructed as well.

The above is from discussions we have had and not yet validated by
careful investigation of the actual release sources.  In any case, I
believe that all plan 9 distributions have an opportunity with 9pi and
9ln to consider a commonly maintained installation process.  Maybe all
it takes is more documentation, but more likely just a little more
effort.

Lucio.

PS: Once again: you did good and I'd like to congratulate you.  I set
out to do this many years ago and you beat me by miles!