From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: russcox@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [9fans] gmail's new POP features + upas/fs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:23:24 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:14:18 -0700, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> > perhaps you've told gmail to delete
> > messages once pop downloads them.
> > (it's a gmail settings option in the pop section.)
> > the next time upas/fs logs in and looks
> > at your mail, they're not there, so it assumes
> > they've been deleted and forgets about them.
> >
> > russ
>
> i had them on archive first, then changed to 'leave in inbox'.  gmail
> indicates that they're sending a 'copy to pop3', so don't think that's
> to blame.
>
> here's what i do:
>
>         - kill all 'fs' in the current session, even better -- start a
>         new one with drawterm and without starting upas/fs.
>
>         - upas/fs -s -f/..../
>
>         - mount /srv/upasfs.andrey and start acme Mail on that dir
>
>         - send a message to myself on my gmail account
>
>         - when the message appears in acme either do a new mount of
>         /srv/upasfs...  or wait about a minute and the message will be
>         marked as 'deleted' in the old Mail.  it never appears in the
>         new one.
>
> exiting the original acme mail and restarting it doesn't show the
> message either, even though Mail wouldn't really delete the message
> unless its window has been 'Put'.
>
> i can verify that this problem doesn't exist with imaps and imap on
> other accounts i have.
>
> andrey

Andrey,

I am sitting here watching faces and I got your race... I just got one
of russco on my machine too... and now it vanished...

It must take things that are in a regular inbox and move them to some
other directory?

quite weird :).  Perhaps Rob Pike can save us :)

Dave