On 2/1/06, Ronald G Minnich wrote: > > David Leimbach wrote: > > > The bash shell supports /dev/tcp.... kind of evil but you can make > > connections and send strings via file redirection with it. > > > so, on the 'how broken is that' scale, where does this one go? > > the scale, btw, goes from 1 to 11 > > ron Well, I've used it to send some data down to a server in a pinch before... when testing things like xinetd servers etc etc. It works kind of sort of Ok :) Someone did an IRC client in bash with it once... don't know where that is anymore. For curiosity's sake: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/devref1.html In fact I'm rather ashamed to admit I've done more network programming with /dev/tcp in bash than I have with Plan 9 or Inferno :). The whole clone concept hasn't sunk in for me yet. Some things just still don't feel *right* to me being done through the filesystem. Seems like a square peg in a round hole kind of abstraction sometimes. But *shrug*, it's probably cleaner than sockets :) Keep in mind I spent about 2 years working with Sandia Portals a few years back, so I've got all these whacky RDMA ideas now. :) Dave