* Re: [9fans] Slow Drawterm
@ 2006-02-23  6:40   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In my experience, most slowness comes from the
> ping pong nature of 9P on high latency connections.

I've found that many high latency connections are
really low bandwidth connections in disguise.
Running drawterm or "ssh -X unix-machine acme"
is very slow from my apartment to MIT, but
ssh -XC unix-machine acme is zippy enough that
I forget it's remote.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Slow Drawterm
       [not found] <000301c6382f$bef2cf40$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>
@ 2006-02-23  8:17 ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-02-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox wrote:
>> Does anybody have any suggestion to improve it?
>
> Implement some form of compression in devssl
> and then make drawterm use it.
Would this really help that much ?

@ 2006-02-23 15:14     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-02-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/22/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> > In my experience, most slowness comes from the
> > ping pong nature of 9P on high latency connections.
>
> I've found that many high latency connections are
> really low bandwidth connections in disguise.
> Running drawterm or "ssh -X unix-machine acme"
> is very slow from my apartment to MIT, but
> ssh -XC unix-machine acme is zippy enough that
> I forget it's remote.
>
> Russ
>
> I wonder if one could use Openssh port forwarding to some "closer-by node"
with the appropriate ports and compression, then drawterm to localhost on
those ports and get a benefit automagically without touching drawterm
sources then?

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Slow Drawterm
@ 2006-03-11 14:26     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> Anybody have any special configuration to get a usable interface to the 9grids?
> Currently I am using drawterm and my profile runs rc only instead of
> rio. This is
> ok, I can still do a bit of usable work this way. I am just wondering
> if there are other
> ways poeple are using drawterm over slow connections.

If you run Plan 9 or drawterm to a local machine, then you
can use cpu to connect to the other machines or import
their file systems and run the editor locally.  This way
all the gui is near you and more responsive.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Slow Drawterm
@ 2006-03-11  4:00   ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2006-03-11  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/23/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > Does anybody have any suggestion to improve it?
>
> Implement some form of compression in devssl
> and then make drawterm use it.

I am resending this to 9fans. Russ sorry for the spam

Since I am still exploring plan9 and coding this is beyond my skills.

Anybody have any special configuration to get a usable interface to the 9grids?
Currently I am using drawterm and my profile runs rc only instead of
rio. This is
ok, I can still do a bit of usable work this way. I am just wondering
if there are other
ways poeple are using drawterm over slow connections.

,Fernan

--
Public PGP/GnuPG key (http://www.fernski.com)
pub 1024D/3576CA71 2006-02-02 Fernan Bolando

* [9fans] Slow Drawterm
@ 2006-02-23  3:35 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2006-02-23  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

It is noted in the 9grid.jp website that drawterm from another country is slow.

Does anybody have any suggestion to improve it?

I noticed that using ssh is much better so I changed my
lib/profile to exec rc when I login using drawterm. It seems better but ssh
is noticably more responsive.

thanks
,Fernan

--