* [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20  2:05 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've finally gotten Plan 9 working on my laptop (I think, I hope...),
but can't do much with it. The school network admins have given me an
IP address so I can connect to sources but I can't get anything off my
system; the school email system doesn't connect to normal clients and
I've no clue how to connect to the networked printers.  Of course this
means that I can't submit homework done on Plan 9...

Could somebody please give me the accounts somewhere so I can send
emails to the world?

Thanks,
--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20  2:12 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-20  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/06, Joel Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've finally gotten Plan 9 working on my laptop (I think, I hope...),
> but can't do much with it. The school network admins have given me an
> IP address so I can connect to sources but I can't get anything off my
> system; the school email system doesn't connect to normal clients and
> I've no clue how to connect to the networked printers.  Of course this
> means that I can't submit homework done on Plan 9...
>
> Could somebody please give me the accounts somewhere so I can send
> emails to the world?
>
> Thanks,
> --Joel

Wait, so you want a Plan 9 account so you can transfer your files
there and then email them elsewhere? Try 9grid.de. I have a machine
up, but my school won't let me send email either. Now, there's an http
server running on it, but I don't have it completely configured yet.

John Floren
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20  2:36   ` Joel Salomon
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait, so you want a Plan 9 account so you can transfer your files
> there and then email them elsewhere?

Or so I can cpu into that macine and use Acme mail from my machine directly.

How would that work?  I'd need an auth account somewhere, and then an
email acount or a cpu account or what?

> Try 9grid.de. I have a machine up, but my school won't let me send email either.
> Now, there's an http server running on it, but I don't have it completely configured yet.

I take it that 9grid.de is your system?  I'm trying to connect to it
via a web browser but I'm not seeing much; the home page won't load
past the heading that reads "9grid.de".

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20  2:50     ` John Floren
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/06, Joel Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wait, so you want a Plan 9 account so you can transfer your files
> > there and then email them elsewhere?
>
> Or so I can cpu into that macine and use Acme mail from my machine directly.
>
> How would that work?  I'd need an auth account somewhere, and then an
> email acount or a cpu account or what?
>
> > Try 9grid.de. I have a machine up, but my school won't let me send email either.
> > Now, there's an http server running on it, but I don't have it completely configured yet.
>
> I take it that 9grid.de is your system?  I'm trying to connect to it
> via a web browser but I'm not seeing much; the home page won't load
> past the heading that reads "9grid.de".
>
> --Joel

9grid.de is a German system. I'm not sure why it isn't loading for
you, but you can get an account there just for asking. My system is in
the U.S., and I could give you an account there, from which you could
send email but not receive it. I would suggest 9grid.de over my
system, however. At 131.112.14.44 you can find the tip9ug servers,
which also have free accounts, but be warned that the domain registry
(tip9ug.jp) has expired, so you'll have to do all connections by IP.

John Floren
--

@ 2006-09-20  8:07     ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-09-20  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good morning.

Am Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:36:29 -0400
schrieb "Joel Salomon" <joelcsalomon@gmail.com>:

> I take it that 9grid.de is your system?  I'm trying to connect to it
> via a web browser but I'm not seeing much; the home page won't load
> past the heading that reads "9grid.de".

That's a MTU issue. I'm still waiting for the Internet to have one
unique MTU.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 12:07     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-09-20 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/19/06, Joel Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wait, so you want a Plan 9 account so you can transfer your files
> > there and then email them elsewhere?
>
> Or so I can cpu into that macine and use Acme mail from my machine directly.
>
> How would that work?  I'd need an auth account somewhere, and then an
> email acount or a cpu account or what?
>
> > Try 9grid.de. I have a machine up, but my school won't let me send email either.
> > Now, there's an http server running on it, but I don't have it completely configured yet.
>
> I take it that 9grid.de is your system?  I'm trying to connect to it
> via a web browser but I'm not seeing much; the home page won't load
> past the heading that reads "9grid.de".
>
> --Joel

I should also note that, if you can connect to your Plan 9 box via
drawterm, it should mount the root directory of the machine you're
using under /mnt/term. You can then do "cp /usr/joel/myfile
/mnt/term/home/joel" or whatever.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-20 17:04     ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Using 131.112.14.44 (tip9ug.jp) as an example, how would I connect to
my mailbox there?  I assume I should run upas/fs -f something, but
what's the something?

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 17:10       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-09-20 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

UPASFS(4)
          The options are:

          -ffile   use file as the mailbox instead of the default,
                   /mail/box/username/mbox.

> Using 131.112.14.44 (tip9ug.jp) as an example, how would I connect to
> my mailbox there?  I assume I should run upas/fs -f something, but
> what's the something?
>
> --Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 18:54         ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> UPASFS(4)
>           The options are:
>
>           -ffile   use file as the mailbox instead of the default,
>                    /mail/box/username/mbox.

Right, so I'm guessing I need to mount my tip9ug mailbox before
re-running upas/fs?  It looks like the command line will look
something like:
    srv -m net!131.112.14.44[!something?] /srv/upasfs.chesky
followed by some call to upas/fs which I can't figure out.

I'm trying to follow directions from srv(4) but I'm more than a bit confused.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 19:10           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-09-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you have a plan9 term, then you probably want to import your mailbox
and run upas/fs locally.
if you're drawterm'ed in - everything runs on the cpu.

/usr/fst/lib/profile

> On 9/20/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> UPASFS(4)
>>           The options are:
>>
>>           -ffile   use file as the mailbox instead of the default,
>>                    /mail/box/username/mbox.
>
> Right, so I'm guessing I need to mount my tip9ug mailbox before
> re-running upas/fs?  It looks like the command line will look
> something like:
>     srv -m net!131.112.14.44[!something?] /srv/upasfs.chesky
> followed by some call to upas/fs which I can't figure out.
>
> I'm trying to follow directions from srv(4) but I'm more than a bit confused.
>
> --Joel

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 19:20             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-09-20 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> /usr/fst/lib/profile

add it to YOUR /usr/YOU/lib/profile

* Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 20:26             ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> if you have a plan9 term, then you probably want to import your mailbox
> and run upas/fs locally.

Importing the mailbox is exactly what I'm trying to do.  Thanks for
the phrasing.

Now, how do I do that?

--Joel

* Re: Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 20:34               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-20 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/06, Joel Salomon <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> > if you have a plan9 term, then you probably want to import your mailbox
> > and run upas/fs locally.
>
> Importing the mailbox is exactly what I'm trying to do.  Thanks for
> the phrasing.
>
> Now, how do I do that?

I usually cheat, a lot and do

import mordor /mail
import mordor /net
upas/fs

Then I have basically no configuration to do, but it's not currently
working for me either.

Your auth should be correct and of course if you use sectore +
factotum to store your password, you can script it (without having to
enter it in over and over.

Dave

> --Joel

* Re: Re: [9fans] Accounts
@ 2006-09-20 21:11                 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-09-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/20/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> I usually cheat, a lot and do
>
> import mordor /mail
> import mordor /net
> upas/fs

I'm trying
    import -ac 131.112.14.44 /mail/box/chesky/
right now, having deleted my local copies of ...box/chesky[L.mbox mbox].

I can read a mail from boyd dated Dec 12 2004, but attempts to reply
-- or to send mail to my gmail address -- fail "with error 'Invalid
address'."

Do I need to import something to /net as well?

--Joel