* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 19:00 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-02-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you might want a cf:pata adaptor.  if you really need sata, chain a
sata:pata adaptor.  it's a bit messy, but cf is easier to get,
cheeper per gigabyte and faster than flash drives.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 19:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-02-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> you might want a cf:pata adaptor.  if you really need sata, chain a
> sata:pata adaptor.  it's a bit messy, but cf is easier to get,
> cheeper per gigabyte and faster than flash drives.

but still pretty slow, even compared to magnetic disk.

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 19:29 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-02-26 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> you might want a cf:pata adaptor.  if you really need sata, chain a
> sata:pata adaptor.  it's a bit messy, but cf is easier to get,
> cheeper per gigabyte and faster than flash drives.
>
> - erik

I think they come with PATA connectors too.  Might not need that.

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 19:35   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-02-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > you might want a cf:pata adaptor.  if you really need sata, chain a
> > sata:pata adaptor.  it's a bit messy, but cf is easier to get,
> > cheeper per gigabyte and faster than flash drives.
>
> but still pretty slow, even compared to magnetic disk.

Read at about 70MB/s write at about 60MB/s.

It's probably fast enough for my home use.

http://www.adtron.com/products/I25fb-IDEFlashDisk.html

Honestly I'm not sure what I get from my disks, I tend to go pretty
low end though when I buy them. :-)

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 19:52     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2007-02-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > On 2/26/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > > you might want a cf:pata adaptor.  if you really need sata, chain a
> > > sata:pata adaptor.  it's a bit messy, but cf is easier to get,
> > > cheeper per gigabyte and faster than flash drives.
> >
> > but still pretty slow, even compared to magnetic disk.
> >

> Read at about 70MB/s write at about 60MB/s.
>
> It's probably fast enough for my home use.
>
> http://www.adtron.com/products/I25fb-IDEFlashDisk.html
>
> Honestly I'm not sure what I get from my disks, I tend to go pretty
> low end though when I buy them. :-)

hdparm gives me about 314 MB/s read for cached read, 23 MB/s for
buffered read on my 6-year-old, 80GB hard drive.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 20:28       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-02-26 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > but still pretty slow, even compared to magnetic disk.
> > >

> > Read at about 70MB/s write at about 60MB/s.
> >
> > It's probably fast enough for my home use.
> >
> > http://www.adtron.com/products/I25fb-IDEFlashDisk.html
> >
> > Honestly I'm not sure what I get from my disks, I tend to go pretty
> > low end though when I buy them. :-)
> >
> hdparm gives me about 314 MB/s read for cached read, 23 MB/s for
> buffered read on my 6-year-old, 80GB hard drive.

I get 20.94MB/sec in parallels with Fedora Core 4.

Turning DMA on in Parallels ups me to 35.89MB/sec

Cached reads show 1440.06 MB/sec in Parallels though so I have no idea
what the heck it's really measuring :-)

At any rate, I'm getting along fine with virtualized OSes and almost
never expect amazing performance from Plan 9 compared to Linux and
other OSes.

In fact, I'd say performance of "good enough" is often just that for
my home use.

I'm not one of those gentoo people :-)

@ 2007-02-26 20:40         ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2007-02-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> In fact, I'd say performance of "good enough" is often just that for
> my home use.
>
> I'm not one of those gentoo people :-)

You fool! You're just losing precious clock cycles by not taking the 3
days to completely recompile your kernel, KDE, and Firefox!
I wonder how many times you have to start Firefox to make that .3 sec
difference add up to the amount of time it took to compile the damn
thing...

John
--

@ 2007-02-26 20:53           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-02-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

of course, the real reason to use gentoo is so you can leave stuff
like ldap off your system without going through rpm dependency
hell.

if you're using shared libraries, i don't think there is any way around
dependency hell short of
a) accepting whatever a distribution gives you lock, stock and barrel
(and hoping that they fix bugs in a timly fashion)

b) or compiling updates yourself.  fortunately gentoo makes it easy to
find what to compile.

there's no performance benefit to compiling things yourself.  but i have
gotten linux 2.6 with X11 working on a thinkpad 570.  all the stock
binary distros of X11 include instructions that the pII on that machine
doesn't recognize. (admittedly, it was a week moment.)

the only payoff is, i appreciate the work russ and the guys at the labs did
to make plan 9 so easy to maintain so much more.

☺

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-28  0:18           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-02-28  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/07, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > In fact, I'd say performance of "good enough" is often just that for
> > my home use.
> >
> > I'm not one of those gentoo people :-)
> >

> You fool! You're just losing precious clock cycles by not taking the 3
> days to completely recompile your kernel, KDE, and Firefox!
> I wonder how many times you have to start Firefox to make that .3 sec
> difference add up to the amount of time it took to compile the damn
> thing...
>

> John
> --
> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Surely more time than I care about.

I'll freely admit one of the reasons I liked FreeBSD was I had the
sources to the whole dang release right there if I wanted them.
However trying magic "funroll-loops" and other delicious sounding
options to gcc never seemed to make my 266MHz pentium any faster.

Maybe funroll-loops aren't delicious though...  Maybe eating
funroll-loops hits the gag reflex and will cause you to
fomit-frame-pointer.

--
- Passage Matthew 5:37:
   But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever

* Re: [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 21:24 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2007-02-26 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:
> 120GB SATA or IDE flash drive.
>
> http://www.adtron.com/newsroom/25fb-Solid-State-Disk.html
>
> Wish I knew where to get these.  None of the standard places I check
> seem to have em.

Why don't you ask them? (there's an email address on the web page.)

I suspect they are expensive.

Martin

* [9fans] Venti flash device?
@ 2007-02-26 18:19 David Leimbach