Anyone run Venti on flash or eeprom before? It might be more suitable there than on giant disks. Dave On 8/14/07, erik quanstrom wrote: > > > > does anyone have an example of a case where compression and uniquing > are required? > > > > the compression is nice to have of course but the uniqing is very > > neat. I have always though of it as plan9's answer to CSV et al. > > > > When you do a release of a software package you copy the files to > > a new directory with the name of the release (the equivilent of > > tagging your release in CVS) - and continue working. this tne takes > > up the space for the directory entries and all releases are always > > available. branching is trivial (dircp) only a pretty merge tool > > is missing - I have diff3 from edition7 in my contrib area > > but some sort of interactive differencting GUI tool would be very > > hand somtimes. > > > > have I drifted off topic I wonder... > > seems on topic to me. > > the extra disk space used for a copy of source should be tiny. > if you have a 500GB disk (< $150 at newegg), making a several of extra > copies of /sys/src would cost you 1/1000th of your disk space if not > uniqued. > > the old way to do versioning is to remember the date of the release > and use history. this also doesn't use any disk space, except for the > deltas. > > - erik >