On 8/16/07, maht wrote: > > > > Unix already has this, and their called extended attributes, and I > > hate them with a burning passion. Rsync, cp, any tool that > > manipulates files (tar for example) has to be able to capture this > > data, and just reading the file won't do it anymore. > > > > Oh and to make things more "fun" FreeBSD, Linux and Mac OS X at least > > have different ways of dealing with them, and max size limits etc. > > you forgot NTFS's version > > http://www.wikistc.org/wiki/Alternate_data_streams > > echo plain > t.xt > echo hidden > t.txt:hidden.txt > > %type t.txt > plain > % type t.txt:hidden.txt > The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. > > % notepad t.txt:hidden.txt > hidden So there we have it... all the major OSes I know of have turned files into directories already... *sigh*