On 9/21/07, Richard Bilson wrote: > > > Venti arenas stored on S3, with locally hosted indexes? > > You can't just throw a whole arena into an S3 file, since the S3 API > doesn't support seeking within files. > > On the other hand, an S3 bucket is essentially a big hash table, and > so is venti. So I opted for the simple approach of storing the blocks > themselves in S3. Given that, a local index doesn't help much. A local > bloom filter probably would help, but for now my server is stateless > (aside from cache). > > Right now the server supports the basic venti api, but it falls over > if anything goes wrong on the connection. Once I make it more robust, > I'll put it in contrib for interested parties. I hadn't looked into this idea much beyond a moment of curiosity... Sounds like you've thought it out quite a bit though :-) once I get my plan 9 box back up and healthy (and possibly add to the ranks in my home network) I'd be very interested in taking a look. Dave