On 10/8/07, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote: > > On 10/8/07, erik quanstrom wrote: > > > His original Kernel, L3, was written in pure assembly for x86, using > every > > > trick possible. > > > > > > > there's nothing wrong with assembly per ce, but i don't follow this > logic. > > generally speaking, compilers are better than humans at doing > instruction > > scrabble. > > Depends on the compiler ;) > > Ignoring the C++ (or all-assembly) nonsense, the general point of > L3/L4 seemed to be "do IPC really, really well on whatever platform we > are running on and then build a microkernel around it". That's an > oversimplification, and perhaps at that level of abstraction -- that > was the goal of every microkernel (its just many/any didn't succeed at > that goal). Yep, L4 has a high level and low level spec for different architectures. I think there's like up to 255 virtual registers, which I think can actually be realized in real hardware on the Itanium port. IPC is just register swapping then. IPC is also synchronous only. I've been thinking a lot about this, particularly as we've been diving > deep into tracing performance of our network paths as part of the Blue > Gene work. As of our preliminary results, it would seem that Plan 9 > attempts to take the most general approach to things with an emphasis > on keeping everything simple. Unfortunately we end up paying a heavy > price in raw performance (at least in the networking case). It may > well be that "benchmark" performance is irrelevant, but I think its at > least worth reviewing other-OS research from the last 20 years to see > what we can learn. It may be the case that we have cut our > abstractions too high to take advantage of some architectural features > present in modern microprocessors -- it may be that we want to allow > for optimized locking and IPC/queues on particular architectures. > > I've heard mention the idea of turning the Plan 9 kernel into a a pure > 9p mux and building the system around that -- one wonders how > different we would look from a microkernel environment like L4 then. > I know the Japanese folks talked about their efforts of "porting" Plan > 9 on top of L4 at last years IWP9 -- I wonder if they've made any > further progress... I'd be very curious to know how that went... -eric >