* 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 17:00 Russ Cox
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-29 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have not bothered to create a new package,
but there is a new binary available for OS X:

	hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
	gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
	chmod +x 9vx.OSX
	./9vx.OSX -r your-root

Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

Sources are not packaged up until things
are stable for a little while, but they are in
the Mercurial repository at

	hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 17:36 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-06-29 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This one seems to work fine for me.
(10.5.3).

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> I have not bothered to create a new package,
> but there is a new binary available for OS X:
>
>        hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
>        gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
>        chmod +x 9vx.OSX
>        ./9vx.OSX -r your-root
>
> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
>
> Sources are not packaged up until things
> are stable for a little while, but they are in
> the Mercurial repository at
>
>        hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 17:55 ` Bakul Shah
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2008-06-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
in addition to doing its button2 duty.  Also, you can't use
option+apple key to escape out of full screen mode. This is
on 10.5.3

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 18:16   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-29 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
>
> Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
> in addition to doing its button2 duty.

Fixed.

> Also, you can't use option+apple key to escape out of full
> screen mode. This is on 10.5.3

That's because it was Ctl-Opt, not Opt-Apple.
But I got rid of that too.  Just use Apple-F, the
same key that gets you in.  The Ctl-Opt thing
was a kludge from the start.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 19:09     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2008-06-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:16:10 EDT "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>  wrote:
> > Every time the option key is pressed, it generates 0xef8095
> > in addition to doing its button2 duty.
>
> Fixed.

Yup. Just tested it.

Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
resizing the window can make it crash with a
    9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
render the window completely black.

The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
- Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
- The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol
- The window geometry is different.
- it has to be explicitly put in background.

A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
of the 9vx window.

When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
two instances can't open the same port.  But at least on
FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
full complement of ports.

But this is good stuff! Thank you!

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 19:29 ` Pietro Gagliardi
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-06-29 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This new release works. Thanks! Now to take my fossil/venti off QEMU
and onto OS X.

On Jun 29, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

> I have not bothered to create a new package,
> but there is a new binary available for OS X:
>
> 	hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
> 	gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
> 	chmod +x 9vx.OSX
> 	./9vx.OSX -r your-root
>
> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
>
> Sources are not packaged up until things
> are stable for a little while, but they are in
> the Mercurial repository at
>
> 	hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-29 19:50 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2008-06-29 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

this is great!

> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.

I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.

two minor UI nits:

 - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
   the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).

 - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
   the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
   than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
   did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though

sidenote: I find it fascinating to see how the plan 9 gui responds
to resizing the window.

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 21:01   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-06-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Time to throw away parallels and vmware :)

thanks a lot, once more.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Axel Belinfante
<Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
> this is great!
>
>> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
>
> I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
>
> two minor UI nits:
>
>  - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
>   the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).
>
>  - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
>   the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
>   than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
>   did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though
>
> sidenote: I find it fascinating to see how the plan 9 gui responds
> to resizing the window.
>

> Axel.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 21:27     ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2008-06-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
other files are copied successfully before this:

error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
'/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
'/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
'/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
'/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:

term% src echo
src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-29 23:33       ` Fazlul Shahriar
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2008-06-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alltom, 9fans

> Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
> other files are copied successfully before this:
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

Try:
	mkdir -p /sys/src/games/mp3dec
	and the pull again

> Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
> files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:
>
> term% src echo
> src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

#Z is the root of the host system. #Zplan9 is 9vx's root

It seems anything that assume Dir.type == 'M' is broken.  This
includes file(1) which is used by src(1), and also diff(1).  Probably
others.

fhs

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30  1:56       ` Russ Cox
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-30  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
> resizing the window can make it crash with a
>     9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
> But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
> Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
> render the window completely black.

Presumably there is a race that needs fixing.
I'll add it to the BUGS list and leave it for someone
else for now.

> The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
> - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
> - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol

Haven't tried to reproduce these.  Are you sure your
acme config isn't different?

> - The window geometry is different.

This is true, but it seemed better.  If there were some
way to make the window start maximized (not full screen,
but just where it would be if you clicked the +), I'd do that.

> - it has to be explicitly put in background.

If you know how to do that without OS X complaining
(like it does if you use fork), please let me know.

> A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
> of the 9vx window.
>
> When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)

I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
gotten it completely working.  I have been using the 9ball
from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
tiny scales.

If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
directory, please let me know.

> A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
> two instances can't open the same port.  But at least on
> FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
> full complement of ports.

It's true.  It's a different model.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30  1:57   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-30  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
>
> two minor UI nits:
>
>  - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
>    the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).

It tries.  Feel free to have a look at the code.

>  - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
>    the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
>    than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
>    did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though

Should be more or less the same.  Again not
sure what's going on.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30  1:58       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-30  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alltom, 9fans

> Does anyone else get errors about missing files when pulling? Many
> other files are copied successfully before this:
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYING:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/COPYRIGHT:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/D.dat:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist
>
> error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/games/mp3dec/README:
> '/n/boot/sys/src/games' does not exist

> Also, which man page(s) would I read to know how to work with special
> files like #Z? I am unsure of what to do when I get errors like this:
>
> term% src echo
> src: can't find source for /bin/echo - unrecognized type special file #Z/echo

There are just a few programs that assume the only "normal" files
come from the mount device (#M).  I have patched my local
version of file(1) to allow #Z along with #M.  That seems to fix
most of them.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-30  2:01 ` a
From: a @ 2008-06-30  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On my 10.5 system, resizing the window causes the screen to get...
wrong. The error makes it look like the lines aren't aligned; things
come out slanted at about right of 10° vertical. If rio's running,
windows sometimes have the left edge cropped to vertical and the
left edge isn't updated with the rest of the window. The keyboard
and rio menus still work, although the fact that the left edge isn't
getting updated makes that hard to see at times.

Resizing to the original size either fixes the problem or yields:
	9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu1
(have also seen cpu4).

This doesn't happen with the X11 version, but does with the first
native OS X GUI code in 0.11 forward. In case it makes a difference,
this system has multiple displays.
Anthony

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2013 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] 9vx os x
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:00:28 -0400

@ 2008-06-30  5:42         ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2008-06-30  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings,

It is running smoothly for me under 10.5.3 too.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
>> resizing the window can make it crash with a
>>     9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
>> But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
>> Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
>> render the window completely black.
>
> Presumably there is a race that needs fixing.
> I'll add it to the BUGS list and leave it for someone
> else for now.
>
>> The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
>> - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
>> - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol
>
> Haven't tried to reproduce these.  Are you sure your
> acme config isn't different?
>
>> - The window geometry is different.
>
> This is true, but it seemed better.  If there were some
> way to make the window start maximized (not full screen,
> but just where it would be if you clicked the +), I'd do that.

If you are willing to calculate the screen geometry and manually
specify the max size, this should be possible.
I think it defaults to 3/4 of max in Acme SAC currently.

>> - it has to be explicitly put in background.
>
> If you know how to do that without OS X complaining
> (like it does if you use fork), please let me know.
>
>> A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
>> of the 9vx window.
>>
>> When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)
>
> I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
> gotten it completely working.  I have been using the 9ball
> from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
> tiny scales.
>
> If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
> directory, please let me know.

You can add icons to arbitrary files by right-clicking on the file,
choosing "Get Info,"
and pasting/drag-and-dropping the desired icon onto the tiny icon in
the upper-left
hand corner of the info window. The advantage to this approach is it's
extremely simple.
The disadvantage is only .app directories can be included in the dock
as applications :-\

>> A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
>> two instances can't open the same port.  But at least on
>> FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
>> full complement of ports.
>
> It's true.  It's a different model.
>
> Russ

--underspecified

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30  5:45     ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2008-06-30  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The scroll wheel just works under the native OS-X Acme SAC. I will try
to figure out why.

--underspecified

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> I know you did not ask, but: on 10.4 it seems to work ok.
>>
>> two minor UI nits:
>>
>>  - the native version doesn't seem to support the scroll point(wheel?);
>>    the X11 version does (but somehow responds a bit slowish to it).
>
> It tries.  Feel free to have a look at the code.
>
>>  - when I resize a window with B3 on border in the native version
>>    the red border responds much slower to movements with the mouse
>>    than in the X11 version (on 10.4)
>>    did not try it much, but overall it feels rather responsive, though
>
> Should be more or less the same.  Again not
> sure what's going on.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30  8:46         ` jas
From: jas @ 2008-06-30  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Jun 29, 8:56 pm, "Russ Cox" <r...@swtch.com> wrote:

> > When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)
>
> I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
> gotten it completely working.  I have been using the 9ball
> from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
> tiny scales.
>
> If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
> directory, please let me know.

You should be able to use the Carbon API to
SetApplicationDockTileImage(img).  Most likely keeping the icon in
some path based off of the root, construct a CGImageRef from the data
and call the mentioned function.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-06-30 15:38 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-06-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My caps lock problem is gone with this!  Thanks Russ (nevermind my other
message regarding it still starting in X11... I'm extra-scatterbrained
today)
Dave

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> I have not bothered to create a new package,
> but there is a new binary available for OS X:
>
>        hget -o 9vx.OSX.gz http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/~rsc/9vx.OSX.gz
>        gunzip 9vx.OSX.gz
>        chmod +x 9vx.OSX
>        ./9vx.OSX -r your-root
>
> Please try it on 10.5 and see how it works.
>
> Sources are not packaged up until things
> are stable for a little while, but they are in
> the Mercurial repository at
>
>        hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/vx32
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
@ 2008-06-30 17:37         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2008-06-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:56:10 EDT "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>  wrote:
> > The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
> > - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
> > - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol
>
> Haven't tried to reproduce these.  Are you sure your
> acme config isn't different?

I just unpacked 0.11 and ran both kernels on it.