On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Dave Eckhardt > wrote: > > cmucl is directly executable but it has only enough > > intelligence to load a big lisp.core, which contains > > all the smarts. > > If these core files aren't generated all *that* often, > one could write a tool which would turn a core file > into a byte array, link a new lisp executable, and > exec() that. I realize that's not an answer to the > question as posed, but... > > Dave Eckhardt > > I'm not sure if any action is being taken just yet on which Lisp to "go for" but, if I were porting a lisp I'd be looking at either CMUCL or SBCL, and probably lean more towards SBCL, as they've done a bit of work to make bootstrapping a little nicer. I like Dave Eckhardt's idea. I don't think core files get changed that often, however sometimes when one produces a "standalone" product from one of the above SBCL or CMUCL, you do want to make your own core file and distribute it. That's still a pretty static process if my memory serves me. Dave