On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > A plan9 terminal can run programs, and can have a local storage file > > system, with multiple users. > > i think this is misleading. while the fs running on the terminal can have > multiple users, it is not true that you can have multiple users using > the cpu resources of a terminal concurrently. > > you can have all that and auth if you run a single machine with a cpu > kernel with the downside that if you use the console you must be eve. > > since it's easy to get small, cheep, low-power machines, i run a > traditional terminal with a seperate auth and fs. > You can even run 9vx as a totally reasonable terminal now... On a system that needs not be dedicated to Plan 9, and still have your CPU/FS/AUTH elsewhere. (Thanks Russ!) I'm a big fan of this approach, if people find it difficult to justify a whole machine as a Plan 9 terminal. I think Inferno is somewhat usable for this purpose even too right? I've just never managed to get it going (or admittedly spent much time trying). Dave > > - erik > > >