On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Ramon de Vera wrote: > Thanks Preston, Thanks Eris, > > I'll take the qemu approach then. I'd rather not start > patching/recompiling plan 9 kernels just yet. :-) Compiling kernels is pretty simple on plan 9. > > > Thanks again, > Mon > > On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Eris Discordia > wrote: > > I have tried to boot a number of Plan 9 4e ISOs on a number of VirtualBox > > releases (even from before Sun acquired it). Just won't work. It will > take > > someone who knows Plan 9 very well to debug it and find out exactly why > it > > doesn't. > > > > A problem with Virtual PC was recently solved, I remember, by patching > the > > kernel. Nobody said if the patch did work or not probably because > applying > > it and recompiling the kernel was too complicated a task for a novice. > And > > that was with the ISO properly booting and a complete installation on the > > (virtual) disk. If the ISO doesn't boot and the installation system never > > begins I assume one will have to create a new ISO with the patched kernel > as > > well--not something I can dream of doing. > > > > --On Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:50 PM -0600 Ramon de Vera > > wrote: > > > >> Has anyone else tried grabbing the latest Plan9 ISO (from the website) > >> and installing it via VirtualBox v2.2 ? I got only as far as: > >> > >> kfs... > >> > >> And the whole thing just stalled and hung at that point, so I am > >> hoping that someone can point me to the wrong vbox settings that I am > >> using. > >> > >> I am trying this from a Vista box. Please don't say go to a different > >> OS and try again. :-) > >> > >> Regards, > >> Mon > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >