On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:13 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > ... but which would be considered the most logical place to deal with > > things such as setting hd parameters for the machine on bootup like > > the 'echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl' example above? > > also see dmaon(8). just as an obvious note, this only > affects interfaces using ide or ide emulation. you can > tell which driver you're using by catting /dev/sdctl. for > example, the first drive is ide. unfortunately, the driver > calls itself "ata". > > ladd# cat /dev/sdctl > sdC ata port 1F0 ctl 3F4 irq 14 > sdE ahci sb600 port 0xe0022800: 64a alp clo coal led mps ncq ntf pm pslum > slum iss 2 ncs 31 np 4 ghc 80000002 isr 0 pi f 0-3 ver 10100 > > > > Kfs is the older disk file system for standalone terminals and the > like. > > > For most purposes, fossil replaces it. Fossil is user-mode, while kfs > > > is a "kernel file system." See in kfs(4). > > > > > > > Ok, so I may simply generally disregard any mention of kfs in any docs or > > scripts and config files I might happen upon? Since fossil has > effectively > > deprecated kfs? > > both (as noted) are user-level fses. and while kfs is older and > simpler, it is very robust. there may be more kfs in operation > than any other plan 9 fs. fossil does snapshots, talks to venti > and other things, but being more complicated, there are more > ways for it to go sideways. > > so like anything else you don't use, feel free to ignore. but > that doesn't mean kfs is "deprecated". i think it's just a different > tool for a different task. > Yeah, I'm pretty sure that, in an emulated environment, I'd pick kfs over Venti, most of the time, unless your goal is to learn about Venti and Fossil :-). You can do Fossil without Venti too, but it's not as fun :-) Dave > > - erik > >