Is that not still based on NewOS? http://newos.org/ At least I think that's the kernel they were using for a while (I ran newOS briefly a long time ago "raw". It had enough stuff to get you to a shell and an irc client from a boot floppy IIRC) That was done by Travis Geiselbrecht who worked at Danger on the Sidekick phone for T-Mobile, helped get the iPhone bootstrapped at apple, and is now at Palm working on the Pre :-) Dave On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM, pmarin wrote: > I wonder if is possible that underground operating systems like Haiku, > Aros or Plan9 should share some kind of knowledge database (not only > the source code) about drivers implementation and don't try to > reinvent the wheel. Haiku seems to do a great job, for example their > network drivers are taken from Freebsd, the sound drivers from OSS4, > etc. > > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM, John Floren wrote: > > Why do we have to care about every self-righteous pronouncement from > > every minor project out there? Why should we have to put everything > > into a "Plan 9 context"? > > > > If you want to relate Plan 9 to Syllable, look at their forums--it > > seems to have the same sort of problems as Plan 9. Lacking in drivers > > (a quick look showed that they don't have PCMCIA, WLAN, or PPP > > support), new users coming in expecting it to be like other operating > > systems (I'm looking at you, Balwinder) or trolls calling it dead, and > > in general an apparent lack of people writing programs for it. > > Syllable looks to be POSIX-compliant (I think) which is probably how > > they have Quake most of the other ported programs. > > > > John > > > > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Balwinder S > > Dheeman wrote: > >> Computer scientists will tell you that their operating systems and tools > >> are fine, because they like them to be complex. Companies will tell you > >> that their machines or devices are fine, because they like to control > >> them by hiding requisite device specifications and, or applications > >> notes, even though you own them. Yet, some people remember a few > >> machines from decades ago that were different. They got run over in the > >> gold rush, but they proved that it is possible to build much more > >> helpful machines. And if it was possible then, it is certainly possible > >> now, because the hardware that computers are built from has become much > >> more powerful. It's the software that is often not working in the > >> interest of the owner. In the /Syllable/ project, we are using this > >> power to help the owner instead of the scientists and the big companies. > >> > >> Please comment the above in a Plan 9 context. > >> -- > >> Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709 > >> Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192 > >> Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Plan9, T2, Arch/Debian/FreeBSD/XP > >> Home: http://werc.homelinux.net/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/ > >> > >> > > > > > > > > -- > > "Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike > > > > > >