On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > > > Apple's using it all over the place in Snow Leopard, in all their > native > > > > apps to write cleaner, less manual-lock code. At least, that's the > claim > > > > :-). > > > > > > could someone explain this to me? i'm just missing how > > > naming a block of code could change its locking properties. > > > > > > > > The explanation is in the manual I linked to earlier in this discussion. > If > > you want to see examples there's two I can think of available for > download. > > One is called DispatchLife the other is DispatchFractal. > > > > I've looked at DispatchLife, and there's no explicit locking of state for > > every cell being concurrently update in Conway's game of life. > > i can't find DispatchLife after a few minutes of googling. > i've read the manual, and it looks like csp to me. clearly > i am a reprobate outside the apple reality distortion field. > > Google doesn't have all the answers, I actually had to use Bing today, and it worked... anyway here's the link to DispatchLife. http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/samplecode/DispatchLife/ > could you explain why this isn't csp and why this can't be done > with regular c (that is why we need the concept of an > unnamed function pointer) and the thread library? > I'm actually planning to figure this stuff out a bit more and "blog" about it, hopefully by Friday sometime (tomorrow). I don't agree that any of this stuff is strictly needed. One can plod along with pthreads and do it wrong all day. One doesn't *need* C either, I've seen whole OSes for x86 written in assembly. It all depends on how much crap you want to keep track of. Dave > > - erik > >