On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > Did you even read the article or any of the examples? There are plenty > > of things that you can "do" with blocks that you can't with just > > function pointers. That's besides the fact that some of them are more > > elegantly expressed with blocks that look sort of ugly with function > > pointers. > > on the other hand, apple says this is illegal > > dispatch_block_t p; > > if(cond){ > p =^ { print("cond\n"); }; > }else{ > p =^ { print("cond\n"); }; > } > p(); > > since the first part is equivalent to > > if(cond){ > struct Block _t = ...; > p = &_t; > } > > intuitive? easy to read? pretty? > > also, if this from david's example is allowed (i'll assume > that the original examples' print(X+y) for int X and y > was a bit of a typo --- i hope!) > > block =^ (int x){ print("%d\n", x ); }; > Wasn't my example... came off an email I cut and pasted from another email after googling around a bit for block stuff. Also I think you mean printf since we're being pedantic? :-) > > that sucker is on the stack. by-by no-execute stack. > how does it get to the stack? is it just copied from > the text segment or is it compiled at run time? > I don't think I posted the whole code, so that's my bad. The X was on the stack to begin with as the first X was an automatic variable in a function. I'd be a little surprised to find an automatic variable in the text segment, but perhaps that's just my not remembering things properly. (didn't mean that tongue in cheek, I don't think about that stuff much these days, as I've spent the last year or so doing Erlang and Haskell.) > > - erik > >