And all of the below are some of the reasons I still love plan 9. Simplicity first is a really great way to work (I've learned over the years). Dave On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Gorka Guardiola wrote: > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote: > > > > Hi folks, > > > > just curious: which binfmt does Plan9 use ? > > How are share libraries handled (if they exist at all) ? > > a.out(6) > no shared libraries. > > > > > Inspired by recent discussions @ gentoo-user, I'm thinking a bit > > how an simple and efficient binfmt could look like. Some key > > ideas are: > > > > * purely runtime information (no debug stuff, etc) > > just strip it. > > > * everthing's sharable/relocatable module, with strict dependencies > > * on exec() the process image will be constructed the modules along > > the dependency tree (the main program as root) > > no shared libraries. > > > * each module may have an entry point (main module w/o is allowed, > > even if it wouldn't make much sense ;-o), these are called after > > relocation, along the dependency tree, from leaf to root. > > no modules. > > > -- > - curiosity sKilled the cat > >