On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Steve Simon wrote: > > And another important feature of shared libraries is, that when > > some lib is updated, importing programs dont have to be recompiled. > > What's the Plan9 solution here ? > > We recompile the relevant executables. The speed of kencc makes this > much less painful than you might expect. It also happens very rarely > on plan9 - I cannot remember the last time we had a "big" pull. > It also neatly sidesteps the issue that different > applications can need different versions of a single > shared library. This is a real problem on some OSs > (see 9fans passim). > > The solution to needing different shared libraries for different applications is of course to distribute them with the binary in a bundle, which makes a lot less sense than just statically linking it to begin with. > -Steve > >