* [9fans] omap3 notebook
@ 2010-03-12  5:17 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-03-12  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/

$400 but it has a long backlog it seems.

ron

* Re: [9fans] omap3 notebook
@ 2010-03-12 18:18 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-03-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12 Mar 2010, at 05:17, ron minnich wrote:

> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/
>
> $400 but it has a long backlog it seems.
>
> ron

Very nice looking little thing and the internal USB is a great idea. I
almost got to saying "I want one," but I started comparing it to my
Zaurus which was about that price some years ago. For my purposes the
Touch Book has half again the clock speed and double the battery life
of my old Z, plus a nicer screen and keyboard. The latter two aren't
worth it not fitting in my pocket, although I'm sure they will be to
others. The Touch Book also has 8 times the RAM my Zaurus has, but
what would you use 512MB for in a Plan 9 terminal-like device?

I feel a bit bad about running it down because I think the company
shows a lovely attitude in trying to support as many Linux distros as
they can, but the 512MB just says to me, "this was made for the
wonderful Technologies of XML and object oriented design."

* Re: [9fans] omap3 notebook
@ 2010-03-12 21:30   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-03-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah the touchbook,it can run some ported iPhone applications it seems too
interestingly.

Dave

@ 2010-03-14 10:17 ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2010-03-14 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12 March 2010 07:17, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/
> $400 but it has a long backlog it seems.

There's also the Nokia's NIT devices if you're looking for pocketable.
Might be a relatively hostile environment for anything but Maemo,
though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Tablet

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right

* Re: [9fans] omap3 notebook
@ 2010-03-14 10:22   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2010-03-14 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There's also the Nokia's NIT devices if you're looking for pocketable.
> Might be a relatively hostile environment for anything but Maemo,
> though.

Hosted inferno works well on these.

* Re: [9fans] omap3 notebook
@ 2010-03-16 18:24     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-03-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 14 Mar 2010, at 10:22, Richard Miller wrote:

>> There's also the Nokia's NIT devices if you're looking for
>> pocketable.
>> Might be a relatively hostile environment for anything but Maemo,
>> though.
>
> Hosted inferno works well on these.

That's good to know. It may be my best choice for my Zaurus too.

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
  -- Alan Perlis