* [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-01 23:35 mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2006-03-01 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I downlaoed the CD the other day

It will work happily if I boot from the CD (except I can't work out how to make it invoke aux/vga with -c)

But after installation I get a kernel panic when switching into VGA mode

I've no investigated copying the kernel from the CD to the installation in text mode

There's no networking (I'm hoping that the particular Realtek driver is just missing from the kernel).

Has the boot/install set-up fallen out of step ?

matt

* Re: [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-01 23:45 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-01 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What kind of video card do you have?
What does the kernel panic say (panic: ___)?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-01 23:57   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-03-01 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i had that same problem with a CD burnt in November. that cd had
/dev/realtime compiled only on the cd boot kernel but not the 9pcf
kernel that was installed on 9fat.

recent CD's from february don't have this problem.

take the monitor and vga definitions off plan9.ini and recompile the
kernel, i bet the problem will be solved.

* Re: [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-01 23:59     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-03-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

on a second thought, i didn't get a panic, so most likely i'm wrong
and i lose the bet.

@ 2006-03-02  0:00   ` mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2006-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:45:47 -0500
"Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> What kind of video card do you have?
> What does the kernel panic say (panic: ___)?
>
> Russ

bad address : px 0xf0171941 addr 0xe8fe0

my vga card is an Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600

did you get that it boots happily into vga mode and rio if I boot from CD

(but the hwcursor doesn't work so I have make it die before vga mode and use aux/vga -c

* Re: [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-02  0:11     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (but the hwcursor doesn't work so I have
> make it die before vga mode and use aux/vga -c

New kernels on sources.  Will fix your problem.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cd boots but not installs
@ 2006-03-06 14:30       ` mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2006-03-06 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:11:39 -0500
"Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> > (but the hwcursor doesn't work so I have
> > make it die before vga mode and use aux/vga -c
>
> New kernels on sources.  Will fix your problem.
>
> Russ

yes, thank you, I am up and running now