From: Berry Kercheval <berry@ajubasolutions.com>
To: cbbrowne@hex.net, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Open but not free
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:54:28 -0700	[thread overview]

At 08:49 AM 06/14/2000 +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >I think anyone can call anything at all "Open Source"
> >with nothing more to fear than derision from the community.
> >
> >I could be wrong, though.
>
>You would indeed be incorrect.
>
>You might want to look at <http://www.opensource.org/>.

I did; the FAQ has this to say:

     We strongly encourage everyone who cares about open software to use
     the term only to describe licenses that conform to the OSD, or software
     distributed under such licenses; but since the term has passed into more
     general use, we also encourage people to refer to the ``OSI Certified''
     mark, which has precision and legal force in identifying software
distributed
     under licenses that are known to meet the OSD requirements.

which seems to imply that the term "open source" is indeed not a trademark.

This is all off topic for 9fans and I will take any further discussion to
private email.

   --berry
--
Berry Kercheval :: Ajuba Solutions :: http://www.ajubasolutions.com