From: "Thomas Miller" <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Successful install+update?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:07:27 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello,

Maybe I successfully updated and recompiled a
plan9 system which was installed today from an
install cd burned back in August 2003.  I had to
resolve a couple of minor problems which I will
mention briefly.  I have some questions too.

I used the August 2003 install cd to put a kfs
file system on an x86 box.  I got a sources
account, and the pulls seemed to work fine.

My "mk all" in /sys/src didn't complete until
after I removed an empty directory called
/sys/src/cmd/rtstats.  The rstats directory
existed on my system, but was not on sources.

When I installed and rebooted, however, the system
got only as far as "dossrv: serving #s/dos,"
followed repeatedly by "fifo stat 0 scrio d6000000
scr 802b2028 pc 8017094E" (copied by hand).

I reinstalled from the cd, repulled, rebuilt, and
reran "mk install."  After looking around, I
guessed that the kernel needed to be rebuilt too.
I rebuilt and reinstalled 9pcdisk, and the machine
now seems to boot and run fine.

Logs made with "| tee logfilename" are available
at ftp://insolvencyhelp.org/pub/.  The logs are
for a pull a few days ago, a second pull today
just prior to today's first build, and the "mk
all," the "mk install," and the kernel "mk"
from today's second build.

I'd be grateful if one of you guys who actually
know something could please warn me if I wasn't as
succesful as I think.  Maybe I somehow shot myself
in the foot in a way I do not yet realize.

Also, I'd like to know if there was an easy way
I could have fixed the kernel problem without
re-installing from the cd.

Would anybody care to explain why the old kernel
didn't work?

Thanks to everybody responsible for making plan9
and for making plan9 available to me.

Kindest regards,

Tom