* [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-24 12:19 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2004-05-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been using kfs with Plan 9 each time I've installed it.  Now I am
looking at reinstalling it all again and I only run a standalone
system.

Is fossil the "best" choice for this or should I stick with kfs.  I
realize that some scripts are written to use kfs commands and such
already like "pull" but that there are alternatives.

What is actually recommended for a standalone Plan 9 box?  If I am
thinking of expanding my system later will kfs present a barrier?
[adding CPU nodes or Terminal nodes]

Dave

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-24 13:38 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-05-24 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You want to use fossil.  It's just better.
And the dump is addictive.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-24 15:59 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 24 May 2004, David Leimbach wrote:

> Is fossil the "best" choice for this or should I stick with kfs.  I
> realize that some scripts are written to use kfs commands and such
> already like "pull" but that there are alternatives.

once you've used history on fossil you won't want to go back.

To deal with my vmware problems I had to go back to kfs for a while. I
miss fossil.

ron

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-25  2:12   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-25  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mon, 24 May 2004, David Leimbach wrote:
>
>> Is fossil the "best" choice for this or should I stick with kfs.  I
>> realize that some scripts are written to use kfs commands and such
>> already like "pull" but that there are alternatives.

I chose kfs for my standalone AUTH server, because I thought it should
not have any problem for a long time test.  Ken's file server and kfs were
the ones which have been used and tested for a long time.
If I have to choose kfs or fossil for my standalone notebook, I have not yet,
I choose fossil.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-25  9:21   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2004-05-25  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rminnich@lanl.gov (ron minnich) wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.0405240958530.22054-100000@maxroach.lanl.gov>...
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, David Leimbach wrote:
>
> > Is fossil the "best" choice for this or should I stick with kfs.  I
> > realize that some scripts are written to use kfs commands and such
> > already like "pull" but that there are alternatives.
>
> once you've used history on fossil you won't want to go back.
>
> To deal with my vmware problems I had to go back to kfs for a while. I
> miss fossil.
>
> ron

Hmmm the installation wiki stuff still seems to recommend kfs.  I also
did something wrong when installing with fossil and I suppose I'd need
venti to mount it locally?

It doesn't look like the installation image has both tools
available... Is this true or am I just looking in the wrong place?

And thanks for the feedback so far :)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-25 17:00     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2004-05-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp (Kenji Okamoto) wrote in message news:<9dc3ba3ee0a7bd4ccb952dea09d64f0e@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>...
> > On Mon, 24 May 2004, David Leimbach wrote:
> >
> >> Is fossil the "best" choice for this or should I stick with kfs.  I
> >> realize that some scripts are written to use kfs commands and such
> >> already like "pull" but that there are alternatives.
>
> I chose kfs for my standalone AUTH server, because I thought it should
> not have any problem for a long time test.  Ken's file server and kfs were
> the ones which have been used and tested for a long time.
> If I have to choose kfs or fossil for my standalone notebook, I have not yet,
> I choose fossil.
>
> Kenji
Thanks for your comments.

For some reason I am not seeing my posts showing up in the threads of
"groups.google.com".  Not sure
what's going on there but I guess I am a bit confused how to actualld
do an install of plan 9 on fossil when venti doesn't seem to come with
the installtion floppy.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-25 19:29     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-05-25 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

perhaps someone should document a fossil installation.
maybe me, i did it today.  and i lost no data cause i
can access my old main using vacfs.  mmmmmm venti.

brucee

David Leimbach wrote:

> Hmmm the installation wiki stuff still seems to recommend kfs.  I also
> did something wrong when installing with fossil and I suppose I'd need
> venti to mount it locally?
>
> It doesn't look like the installation image has both tools
> available... Is this true or am I just looking in the wrong place?
>
> And thanks for the feedback so far :)
>
> Dave

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-25 19:35       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> maybe me, i did it today.  and i lost no data cause i
> can access my old main using vacfs.  mmmmmm venti.

yeah venti is my lifesaver.

I was documenting what I did and will try to find it.

one question: did you set up isect{0,1} and arenas{0,1} or just isect0 and
arenas0

ron

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-26  0:21       ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> what's going on there but I guess I am a bit confused how to actualld
> do an install of plan 9 on fossil when venti doesn't seem to come with
> the installtion floppy.

I think you should have kfs also in your disk, insall the cd stuffs onto it,
and then make fossil and then run fossil if you like.   If you have Plan 9
network system already, you don't have to have kfs though.   The disk
space for that kfs is not so large, I believe.   Boot from kfs, and then
run fossil in the user mode.  The fossil is not in the state of art yet, and
you'd need to be prepared to know that.   This is the status of now's Plan 9
when you use fossil, I think.

Anyway, it's depend on what you expect from present Plan 9.  If you want
to use it for your making application, I recommend to use ken's file server.
If you want to learn something from Plan 9, I recommend you to use fossil+
venti.   If you want to have Plan 9 network, I recommend you to have standalone
AUTH server and double file servers, Ken's and Fossil+Venti.☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] fossil or kfs?
@ 2004-05-26  1:01         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-05-26  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

isect{0,1} and arenas{0,1} - only cause the example did.

taking the -V default out of the fossil conf needs a mention.

brucee