* [9fans] Network design question
@ 2004-06-09  3:57 dantes
From: dantes @ 2004-06-09  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing a batch of presentations about distributed
systems, and I was of course having a look at Plan 9, especially on its
network and communication implementation. I've been through the papers,
and here is what I understood.

Just to be sure I don't include erroneous data, could you please confirm
(or oppose, but then please explain :) those assertions:

- from the OSI point of view, the layers 4, 5 and 6 have a custom
protocol implementation: 9P.

- 9P offers an interface at layer 5 (messages, local)

- 9P offers an interface at layer 6 (RPC, local)

- a service does translation from 9P to TCP for external communication
(at level 4?).

Where does IL fit in all this?

Hmm, still a bit confused.

Sorry if the question seem a bit lousy, and thanks a lot for any help!
Best regards
Jef

* Re: [9fans] Network design question
@ 2004-06-09  4:39   ` dantes
From: dantes @ 2004-06-09  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:
>>- from the OSI point of view, the layers 4, 5 and 6 have a custom
>>protocol implementation: 9P.
>
> 9p is similar to nfs protocol. the main difference is nfs is designed to
> serve regular data files and so it treats data in terms of blocks. 9p
> additionally takes care of device files and the data is treated as
> messages of variable size (max is 8192). and 9p messages are not cached.

Isn't it a bit more than NFS? From "The Organisation of Networks in Plan
9", it seems it can also *do* messages and RPC, while AFAIK NFS is
*using* messages and SUN RPC... Maybe I'm just plain wrong.

>>- 9P offers an interface at layer 5 (messages, local)
>>
>>- 9P offers an interface at layer 6 (RPC, local)
>
> i am not sure if 9p can be treated like this. i guess it is pretty much
> the 4 layer tcp/ip with 9p sitting on top of tcp/ip. 9p is like nfs
> protocol and uses rpc mechanism.

Considering from your next answer that IL is a transfer protocol, can 9P
be fully used on top of IL? (ie does it rely exclusively on TCP and its
stream orientation?)

>>- a service does translation from 9P to TCP for external communication
>>(at level 4?).
>>
>>Where does IL fit in all this?
>
> il is pretty much similar to tcp except that while tcp works in
> byte-stream mode, il wrok in message-mode.

OK, thanks for this input.

> thanks
> dharani

Thanks a lot