At the point factotum starts on the cpu server, there is no secstore service running, because cpurc has not yet run to start it. Thus, in cpurc, after I have started the secstore service, I want to do auth/secstore -G factotum | read -m >/mnt/factotum/ctl to load the secstore into the already running factotum. This will prompt for the secstore password, which is a pain if I want to reboot the cpu server remote. So, I grafted the nvram key loading code from factotum into secstore under the option -N. The relevant bit of cpurc is: dossrv @{ rfork n mount -c /srv/dos /n/9fat /dev/sdC0/9fat bind /n/9fat/secstore /adm/secstore auth/secstored echo secstored running auth/secstore -N -G factotum | read -m >/mnt/factotum/ctl echo keys loaded } Now if there is a clever way to get factotum to reload itself from secstore I would use that, but I don't think there is.