* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-08  4:31 dmr
From: dmr @ 2004-03-08  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A curiosum: I was looking at an Israeli web page, almost all
in Hebrew, with IE.  It contrives to make the scrollbar
appear (and work) on the left.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-09  3:11 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2004-03-09  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dmr@plan9.bell-labs.com said:
> A curiosum: I was looking at an Israeli web page, almost all
> in Hebrew, with IE.  It contrives to make the scrollbar
> appear (and work) on the left.
>
> 	Dennis

I *am* curious - was this the browser's scroll bar that got moved by some
ms html extension or what? www.bezeq.co.il, for example, has some code to
give it a "cool" blue scrollbar, but on the right.

Pointer, please.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-09  4:43   ` dmr
From: dmr @ 2004-03-09  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > I *am* curious - was this the browser's scroll bar that got moved by some
 > ms html extension or what? www.bezeq.co.il, for example, has some code to
 > give it a "cool" blue scrollbar, but on the right.

The example is at
http://www.whatsup.org.il/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10639

I didn't try to understand the source, but it uses both
Javascript and CSS.

(BTW, it's a public page where the topic was "otherunix" stuff
and thus is graphics-rich.)

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-09  9:48 ` Dave Cummings
From: Dave Cummings @ 2004-03-09  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

on the topic of scrollbars, i've been playing with a ss10 w/openwindows.
under workspace properties: Scrollbar Placement: Left/Right

* RE: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-09  8:02 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-03-09  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I didn't try to understand the source, but it uses both
>Javascript and CSS.

You can say "direction: rtl" in CSS. That's what makes IE play games
with its scrollbar.

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-05 19:08         ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-03-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> no, it's just that i'd not seen it before you demonstrated it,
> but you could crash it quite easily.

actually i haven't done it for ages.

it happens when i'm trying to click on a scrollbar in the left hand
column, and miss and click on the window border instead, resizing the
window; repeat a few times (almost subconscious mouse repetition), and
acme crashes because it's trying to get a named image but rio has
already discarded that named image in favour of the next one...

i guess it happens with acme 'cos i usually have an acme window that
covers most of the screen, so it takes a while to resize/move.

it's an interesting illustration of the kind of problem that can occur
when using out-of-band data transfer.

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-05 18:49     ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-03-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it's quite easy for rog to crash acme that way, for example ...

yup, cack handed with the mouse, that's me.

* [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-05 18:45 ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-03-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Which led to some curiousity for me: any reason that there is a border in
> (I guess) libdraw?

getwindow() knows about rio borders (it gets the named image which is
the rio window, then creates the application's window inside a screen
inside that).

this area is a little fragile (there's a race which means that
getwindow() can return nil even though there is a window to be got;
it's quite easy to crash acme this way, for example).

* Re: [9fans] borders
@ 2004-03-05 18:44       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-03-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no, it's just that i'd not seen it before you demonstrated it,
but you could crash it quite easily.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1711 bytes --]

From: rog@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] borders
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:49:39 0000