From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Gmail and upas
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:14:10 -0500	[thread overview]

first, a note about setting up gmail.  you'll want to add this
thumbprint to /sys/lib/tls/mail:

x509 sha1=e221be6be22afd3b3244199476cbb136da4ad02d cn=*.gmail.com

unless you've added this, the messages are downright cryptic.

> into my profile, (after the plumber, before I start rio; as per the
> suggestion regarding mail on the wiki), I get a ludicrous amount of
> errors after a while akin to this:
>
> download 1768: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
> download 1769: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
> download 1770: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
> download 1771: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel

i don't get these messages but they seem plausable
for a missing thumbprint.  the thumbprint is required;
there's no way to turn off thumbprint checking.

> Et cetera. I did have copious amounts of mail in this box, somewhere
> in the neighborhood of 3500. When I first ran this procedure, it
> worked pretty well, albeit it slowly (3500 is a lot of messages to go
> through). I got some similar messages, but I was able to access my

while imap4 support with nupas has some warts, nupas
has users with local mailboxes that have 8500 messages.
so your gmail box seems doable.

the source for nupas is at /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/nupas.
but if you want to use it with gmail imap, you may wish to
wait a few weeks or so.  i'll make an announcement.

by the way, i don't know of any way that gmail imap is not standard.
perhaps this is in some esoteric corners of the protocol i'm not
familar with.  for the basic stuff, i haven't seen any issues at all.

- erik