From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] auth change? / auth for u9fs on a mac
Date: Mon,  4 Jul 2011 12:53:34 +0100	[thread overview]

This is probably my finger trouble but just in
case I am not going mad and sothing has changed
in the last couple of months...

I have a mac running u9fs (marlin).

I don't like the idea of putting bootes password in /etc on the
mac so I give it its own host owner and secret

	$ cat /etc/u9fs.conf
		random-secret
		mac-owner
		home.quintile.net

then I have a factotum key of the form:

	hugo% grep mac-owner /mnt/factotum/ctl
		key proto=p9sk1 dom=home.quintile.net user=mac-owner !password?

I am pretty sure this has worked for several years but now it is broken:

	hugo% srv -m marlin
	post...
	srv net!marlin!9fs: mount failed: authentication failed

This should work shouldn't it?

Is there another way to do this? I tried adding another
clause to my secstore with a server=marlin tuple hoping that this
would be chosen in preference to my default p9sk1 key but it didn't
seem to work either.

how do peple do this? Are you all happy to sprinkle bootes
key onto unix machines (hard to believe)?

-Steve