* [9fans] another project for those of you looking for one
@ 2005-09-26 17:00 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

create an fs for plan 9 that talks to the linux 'git' file system. Write
it with plan9ports in mind so that it runs on linux or plan 9 or bsd or ....

the world will love you. I'm serious.

ron

* Re: [9fans] another project for those of you looking for one
@ 2005-09-29 23:07 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-29 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/26/05, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> create an fs for plan 9 that talks to the linux 'git' file system. Write
> it with plan9ports in mind so that it runs on linux or plan 9 or bsd or ....
>
> the world will love you. I'm serious.
>
> ron

Why is it when I read about git I immediately think "venti"?  Let's
just get Linus to switch to using v9fs and plan9ports venti.   [sounds
scary]

Dave

* Re: [9fans] another project for those of you looking for one
@ 2005-09-29 23:27   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-09-29 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leimbach, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Why is it when I read about git I immediately think "venti"?  Let's
> just get Linus to switch to using v9fs and plan9ports venti.   [sounds
> scary]

Git is SHA1-addressed, but that's where the similarity ends.
Git works on entire files, not blocks, and it defines different
metadata trees tailored to the job Linus is doing.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] another project for those of you looking for one
@ 2005-09-29 23:43     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-29 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/29/05, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > Why is it when I read about git I immediately think "venti"?  Let's
> > just get Linus to switch to using v9fs and plan9ports venti.   [sounds
> > scary]
>
> Git is SHA1-addressed, but that's where the similarity ends.
> Git works on entire files, not blocks, and it defines different
> metadata trees tailored to the job Linus is doing.

True, his tree structures help capture specific snapshots of the
tree's state.  It just seems like you've got snapshootable, efficient
storage in venti already.

*shrug*

Dave

@ 2005-09-29 23:49   ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-29 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leimbach, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:

> Why is it when I read about git I immediately think "venti"?  Let's
> just get Linus to switch to using v9fs and plan9ports venti.   [sounds
> scary]

it's not just you.

But, git is here to stay, whether or not it's like venti. So a gitfs
would be a really good thing to get people looking at v9fs.

@ 2005-09-29 23:55     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald G Minnich; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/29/05, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> David Leimbach wrote:
>

> > Why is it when I read about git I immediately think "venti"?  Let's
> > just get Linus to switch to using v9fs and plan9ports venti.   [sounds
> > scary]
>
> it's not just you.
>
> But, git is here to stay, whether or not it's like venti. So a gitfs
> would be a really good thing to get people looking at v9fs.

Git still seems to be under pretty major development... it's also not
my friend right now.

I just checked out the kernel tree and it told me I had made
modifications to like 50 files I never touched.  Not very nice.

It probably doesn't like HFS+ :-)

Dave

@ 2005-09-30  0:04       ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-30  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leimbach; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:

> Git still seems to be under pretty major development... it's also not
> my friend right now.

yes, but like most things, it doesn't care if you like it or not.

It may not be the greatest thing on earth, but I've been impressed with
its ability to support a lot of development. Esp. given the very short
timeframe in which it was created.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I just am hoping somebody gets
motivated to do a 9p2000 gitfs.

@ 2005-09-30  0:18         ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2005-09-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I just am hoping somebody gets
> motivated to do a 9p2000 gitfs.

why?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] another project for those of you looking for one
@ 2005-09-30  2:32           ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-30  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Rob Pike wrote:
>>Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I just am hoping somebody gets
>>motivated to do a 9p2000 gitfs.
>

> why?

to motivate interest in v9fs from folks who otherwise might have no
interest. It's a simple demonstration.

ron