From: Wes Kussmaul <wes@village.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] stubbing
Date: Sat,  8 Oct 2005 20:31:35 -0400	[thread overview]

Dave Lukes wrote:

> If we don't solve the current problems we'll drown before we have a
> chance to solve the future problems.

Solve the current problems with what? Firewalls? Intrusion detection
systems and whitelists and blacklists? Hey, the ship is going down and
we are drowning. Shall we ignore that other ship on the horizon as we
focus on a futile effort to keep this one afloat?

> If I have kids, online problems will be the least of their problems
> (global warming

Global warming? Look closely at what Brian Hancock did with an Inferno
grid at Rutgers. Think about that as a real workplace, not some cutesy
virtual collaborative forumy chat roomy IRC with no accountability. Then
put your Beemer up on eBay.

Reliable online workplaces (Plan 9 / Inferno grids with reliable
identity credentials and building codes / occupancy permits) displace
travel.

lack of social responsibility

Yeah, isn't that what happens when you move 6 billion people into a
(global) village with no system of identity/accountability? Did we
really expect a village instead of a mob?

  terrorism ...).

Yup, gangs of terrorists, that's who's in charge in a global mob. Your
manageable village where people can be held responsible just because
they know each other tops out at a population of about a thousand. Even
in my little town of 10,000 if I get stopped by a local cop they need to
see a driver's license. And they call it in (voice over OCSP) as another
reality check.

Now I have to add, because it always comes up at this point: if done
right a strong identity credential can be the cornerstone of personal
privacy rather than an eroder of privacy.

ID-PKI. Thought through and done right. Fixes all that stuff.

Wes