* [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [9fans] acme + mh]]
@ 2006-02-20 15:56 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-02-20 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 >Could you elaborate?  You need to use Put rather than Save to create a
 >`folder' (alternate mailbox); is that your objection?  You should be
 >able to create hierarchies too; though I have done only a very limited
 >form of this.

ok, Geoff, I decided to do this as a naive mail user, which for the most
part I am anyway.

So I look at a message. it is /mail/fs/mbox/9 or some such. I go to the
tag bar and change it to /mail/fs/mbox/plan9/9.

Of course it fails, as expected, but the question is, what DO you do?

I tried this too
mkdir -p $home/mail/plan9
then, in the tag bar, change
/mail/fs/mbox/9
/usr/rminnich/mail/plan9/9
and Put does ... nothing.

So, I see a few problems here:
- I don't want to name the messages or worry about their number
- or fool with retyping the name in the tag bar

What I want is to somehow point at a message, click on something in the
tag bar, then click on a folder in another window, and have the message
move. This is another class of Delete, in some sense: Deletemsg and move
it too. So the (deleted) tag could actually become a (folder) tag, and
(deleted) could be a folder too. Then Put would do all the refiling for
me. This just occurred to me, now I gotta go look at Mail source and see
if it is comprehensible enough for me to do it :-)

Acme mail is an interesting foundation for a mailer, but it won't cut it
for people I am trying to show Plan 9. At the same time, I like its
simplicity, and still think it has a more sensible feel than (e.g.)
tundrabird, the Super-Mailer of the Future.

thanks

ron