From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] lsub.org
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:11:56 -0400	[thread overview]

> We've been having good luck with the dns currently on sources.  I
> don't think I have seen the srvfail problem.  The query waits on
> reverse lookups seem to have been a symptom of local ndb
> misconfiguration, though it would be better if dns coped more sensibly
> with that.  As I recall, the nameserver(s) for the reverse domain need
> to have the relevant ptr records; pointing the reverse domain at the
> wrong nameservers (implicitly or explicitly) seems to cause confusion.

could you explain this senerio more?

when i see queries hanging, it's almost always on recursive reverse lookups
for email validataion.  some external server will return srvfail but the query
will be restarted from the dns root ad inf.  this results on other queries to the
same zone to wait for the query lock forever.  since spam often comes in
bunches from the same domains, this often uses up all the available responding
threads.

what could be wrong in the local ndb file for this to be happening?

- erik