bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com wrote: > If fossil+venti is chosen during installation, the entire > venti arena partition is cleared. Is there a way to avoid > clearing all of the arena space? Since in a sense it is an > append only log, and the purpose for clearing it is, > presumably, to allow recreating the index, may be a shortcut > exists? Doing so will save a lot of time and space > particularly on a qemu VM. In qemu one can use a sparse file > or a qcow format file which allocates space only for data > actually written. Writing even zeroes can eat up space. As I've tested, if you avoid using "qcow" and otherwise use a "raw" qemu image, the venti formatting is normally quick in my Linux system. Using 'qcow' terribly slows down that format process.