* [9fans] VIA mini-ITX support
@ 2006-06-10  4:49 Lyndon Nerenberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-06-10  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've run into a bit of spare cash that might let me buy some hardware
for a CPU server.  I'm restricted to mini-ITX due to space and power
constraints and was wondering if anyone is running on currently
available VIA hardware and would care to comment.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] VIA mini-ITX support
@ 2006-06-10  7:36 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-10  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a Via EPIA V (maybe an 800?) in a box made by SolarPC.
I don't recall any problems offhand, though I think I did
add a case arm for the South Bridge, and I sort of remember
the Rhine Ethernet used to be left out of standard precompiled
kernels, or maybe it was 9load.

I still need to figure out why the SIIG PCI SATA card I want
to use in that machine loses when DMA is turned on.

The proprietor of SolarPC says he's had more trouble with the
Via boards under high interrupt load than with other mini-ITX
boards.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] VIA mini-ITX support
@ 2006-06-10  9:41 ` Lluís Batlle i Rossell
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2006-06-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At least here there are nice ones, quite cheap I think. Box+powersupply+...
http://store.epatec.net/
Maybe someone knows about those
Vortex86 200 MHz in whatever mainboard they run... Is anyone running
something like that?

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> I've run into a bit of spare cash that might let me buy some hardware
> for a CPU server.  I'm restricted to mini-ITX due to space and power
> constraints and was wondering if anyone is running on currently
> available VIA hardware and would care to comment.
>
> --lyndon

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3311 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] VIA mini-ITX support
@ 2006-06-10 23:26 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-10 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> I've run into a bit of spare cash that might let me buy some hardware
> for a CPU server.  I'm restricted to mini-ITX due to space and power
> constraints and was wondering if anyone is running on currently
> available VIA hardware and would care to comment.
>
> --lyndon

I did run Plan 9 on an EPIA, and it worked fine, even under linuxbios.

ron

* Re: [9fans] VIA mini-ITX support
@ 2006-06-12 18:44   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-06-12 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have a Via EPIA V (maybe an 800?) in a box made by SolarPC.
> I don't recall any problems offhand, though I think I did
> add a case arm for the South Bridge, and I sort of remember
> the Rhine Ethernet used to be left out of standard precompiled
> kernels, or maybe it was 9load.

Thanks for the info.  It's the Ethernet chipset support that I'm most
concerned about.

--lyndon