* [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-15 15:51 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Sugar

ron

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-15 18:33 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-06-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Sugar

i thought the interactive javascript/logo web page (http://www.logowiki.net)
was rather more amusing, and i liked the (continuing old) idea of trying to get children
cranking out some programs rather than just cranking up some power to flick about on the web!

    ``It goes against the grain of modern education to teach children
      to program.  What fun is there in making plans,
      acquiring discipline in organizing thoughts, devoting attention to
      detail and learning to be self-critical?''

    ``Perhaps if we wrote programs from childhood on, as adults we'd be able
     to read them. However, reading a program is not like reading a book, it
     is more like being a psychiatrist to a recumbent patient.''

	-- both from Alan Perlis (Epigrams on Programming)

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-15 20:03   ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-15 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The goals of OLPC are really admirable. They're thinking. It's NOT just
a 'cheap craptop'.

In e-book mode, due to clever hardware design, it can run on 22 hours on
  a charge.

ron

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-15 20:34     ` rog
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: rog @ 2006-06-15 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.
i want one!

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-15 20:38       ` Charles Forsyth
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-06-15 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's the (nearly) easy bit.
(nearly) because you're not allowed to have the cool looking ones,
because they want to tag them visually so people know when a
child has been mugged to get one

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2163 bytes --]

From: rog@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:34:27 +0100

@ 2006-06-15 20:41       ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

rog@vitanuova.com wrote:
> i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.
> i want one!

you don't. it's ergonomically designed for kids. I've tried typing on
that keyboard and it's impossible.

@ 2006-06-15 21:35       ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-06-15 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

rog@vitanuova.com wrote:

>i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.
>i want one!

Every time I see a $79 DVD player at Costco I think, what's the big deal
about the OLPC? A hundred bucks? Hey, maybe I can beat that and still
make a few sheckels. At $100 OLPC may be overpriced, expecially if there
are no retailer margins.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

My uncle likes to say that the world’s biggest troubles started when the serpent said, “Try this fruit, and by the way if a bunch of people collectively calling themselves Arthur Andersen signs something it’s the same as if a person named Arthur Andersen signed it.” I don’t get the serpent and fruit part. Must be some Swiss mythology thing. He can be a bit obscure.

                         P.K. Iggy
                         _How I Like Fixed The Internet_
                           (Tales from the Great Infodepression of 2009
                           and the prosperity that followed)

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-06-16 20:18       ` Dave Eckhardt
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-16 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a
> laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.

Interestingly enough, every time I've looked over their
material, there is something about how the machines will
not be available for sale to just anybody, but will be
sold only through government educational programs.  This
makes sense only if they cost more than $100 to produce--
for example, if it were *less* than $100, they'd be
thrilled to sell you one for $100 and use the profit to
make more machines for kids.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-16 20:22         ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-06-16 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Actually at USENIX they said they were considering the possibility of
selling a $300 model that would help fund the $100 models.  The $300
model would look different (so they could tell if you mugged a kid for
one), and might have an adult-size keyboard.

          -eric

@ 2006-06-16 20:36         ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-06-16 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave Eckhardt wrote:

>>i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a
>>laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.
>>

>if it were *less* than $100, they'd be
>thrilled to sell you one for $100 and use the profit to
>make more machines for kids.
>
>Dave Eckhardt

Here's a VideoNow player for less than $30 retail:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4012133#Features+%26+Specifications

Take away Wal*Mart's margin and the fancy packaging and it would
probably cost $15 fob factory.

Nowhere near the quality of OLPC of course but if you put in a big
enough order with a manufacturer of DVD players for a machine replacing
the DVD drive with a keyboard, add ethernet and a couple of gigs of
flash and you could sell OLPWC (Western Cheapo) for under a hundred
dollars and make money on it.

--

@ 2006-06-16 23:13         ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-16 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave Eckhardt wrote:
>>i'm just amazed they think it's possible to have a
>>laptop + 1200x900 display for less than $100.
>

> Interestingly enough, every time I've looked over their
> material, there is something about how the machines will
> not be available for sale to just anybody, but will be
> sold only through government educational programs.  This
> makes sense only if they cost more than $100 to produce--

The $100 goal is incredibly ambitious. It's that simple.

@ 2006-06-16 23:14           ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-16 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Wes Kussmaul wrote:

> Nowhere near the quality of OLPC of course but if you put in a big
> enough order with a manufacturer of DVD players for a machine replacing
> the DVD drive with a keyboard, add ethernet and a couple of gigs of
> flash and you could sell OLPWC (Western Cheapo) for under a hundred
> dollars and make money on it.

I'm not convinced it's that easy. I've seen the components prices and it
sure looks hard to me to lower the price much. What's the target volume
of that dvd player?

@ 2006-06-17 17:41             ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-06-17 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> Wes Kussmaul wrote:
>
>> Nowhere near the quality of OLPC of course but if you put in a big
>> enough order with a manufacturer of DVD players for a machine
>> replacing the DVD drive with a keyboard, add ethernet and a couple of
>> gigs of flash and you could sell OLPWC (Western Cheapo) for under a
>> hundred dollars and make money on it.
>

> I'm not convinced it's that easy. I've seen the components prices and
> it sure looks hard to me to lower the price much. What's the target
> volume of that dvd player?

Well that's the thing. The committed volume for that DVD player is
surely huge. But the economies that are a byproduct of the huge DVD
player volume are now available to others with only semi-huge commitments.

--

@ 2006-06-17 19:53           ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Here's a VideoNow player for less than $30 retail [...]

It looks as if it plays "special" disks, so, just like a game
console, the price of the device may be subsidized by the
price of the accessories.

> Nowhere near the quality of OLPC of course but if you put in a big
> enough order with a manufacturer of DVD players for a machine replacing
> the DVD drive with a keyboard, add ethernet and a couple of gigs of
> flash and you could sell OLPWC (Western Cheapo) for under a hundred
> dollars and make money on it.

...and then I expect a lot of people will buy one.  The more time
that goes by without somebody doing something they could "clearly"
make money at, the less clear it is that they actually could.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-17 19:55           ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-06-17 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Actually at USENIX they said they were considering the possibility
> of selling a $300 model that would help fund the $100 models.

That would seem to me to bracket the cost of the "$100" machines
at somewhere above $100 (my claim) and below $300 (which I have
no trouble believing--but which is no headline-grabber).

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-17 20:56             ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2006-06-17 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/17/06, Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > Actually at USENIX they said they were considering the possibility
> > of selling a $300 model that would help fund the $100 models.
>
> That would seem to me to bracket the cost of the "$100" machines
> at somewhere above $100 (my claim) and below $300 (which I have
> no trouble believing--but which is no headline-grabber).

Actually, it's a PledgeBank thing:

"If he does offer it, then I will buy one at three times the cost and
thus contribute to supplying two to the proposed users."

http://www.pledgebank.com/100laptop

The target is still $100 by 2008, but they're predicting $135 to $140
at first sight.

Also realize that no one is building them per se, but designing
everything from the factory and supply chain on up so you can build
your own factory in Uruguay or Mozambique or wherever (either private,
grant-funded or fully government-funded) to bootstrap your own
educational technology program.

It's always been expected that the U.S. market for these things will
be non-existent, except to us geeks who want to fiddle with and/or
lambaste it.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] A look at the OLPC environment
@ 2006-06-18  1:32               ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-06-18  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Wes Kussmaul wrote:

> Well that's the thing. The committed volume for that DVD player is
> surely huge. But the economies that are a byproduct of the huge DVD
> player volume are now available to others with only semi-huge commitments.

one other issue. We are assuming that money is made on that DVD player.
Do we know that for sure?

ron