* [9fans] gpsfs mod
@ 2006-07-07 14:50 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, long ago, I said 'it'd be nice if gpsfs output S-expressions'. Now,
it turned out Uriel doesn't like sex(pressions), so i could not do that.

on contrib/rminnich, you will find a slightly modified gps fs, which
adds a file gps.xml, which gives output something like this:
<tracker><target  id="roo" zulu="000000" lng="   0" lat="   0" course="
  0" speed="  0"/></tracker>

This gps also does a slightly better (but not correct) job of responding
to stat() commands, needed to work correctly with httpd (it's not a very
good job, but it works).

We use this in our distributed sensor network prototype, based on Plan
9, and you can see one use of it here:
mbgokhale.org/bustracker

due to a funding glitch, there's only one node, and it's not on a bus
yet :-(

but we just got the ok (and $$$) to finish the system, and put it on the
busses :-)

Thanks to Josiah England for the google maps integration. Yes, the arrow
really does point in the direction that the gps says the bus is going.

no, this is not just for tracking things -- you can buy those
commercially already. It's for building flexible data acquisition
platforms with a secure link to home.

ron

* Re: [9fans] gpsfs mod
@ 2006-07-11 18:20 ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2006-07-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 08:50:29AM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> So, long ago, I said 'it'd be nice if gpsfs output S-expressions'. Now,
> it turned out Uriel doesn't like sex(pressions), so i could not do that.

So you _could not_ do that?

> on contrib/rminnich, you will find a slightly modified gps fs, which
> adds a file gps.xml, which gives output something like this:
> <tracker><target  id="roo" zulu="000000" lng="   0" lat="   0" course="
>  0" speed="  0"/></tracker>

Oh, holy... I thought that was just a bad joke.

--
<isomer> uhm... who's hoarding all the motivation?

* Re: [9fans] gpsfs mod
@ 2006-07-11 19:24   ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Harri Haataja wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 08:50:29AM -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
>
>>So, long ago, I said 'it'd be nice if gpsfs output S-expressions'. Now,
>>it turned out Uriel doesn't like sex(pressions), so i could not do that.
>

> So you _could not_ do that?

not if uriel says I can't.

> Oh, holy... I thought that was just a bad joke.

no, you can usually tell my bad jokes, but not always. In this case,
putting in gps.xml file was just the easiest thing to do.

ron