* [9fans] Planning a two-machine heterogeneous LAN
@ 2006-07-09 18:15 Richard Uhtenwoldt
From: Richard Uhtenwoldt @ 2006-07-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Using Firefox has its irritations, but it is _more_ irritating to
use Firefox via VNC from a Plan 9 terminal than to use it on the
Linux box on which the Firefox is running.

Likewise, using a Plan 9 cpu server via Drawterm running on Linux
is _more_ irritating than using the same cpu server as a Plan 9
terminal.

My question is, which delta of irritation is greater: that of
having to use Plan 9 remotely from Drawterm _or_ that of having
to use one of the big, popular web browsers remotely (via VNC or
whatever the cool people are using to connect to Linux or
Windows) from a Plan 9 terminal?

Assume the Linux and the Plan 9 are connected via 100Mbs
ethernet.

The answer to the question will determine which
machine I hook my keyboard and mouse up to.

* Re: [9fans] Planning a two-machine heterogeneous LAN
@ 2006-07-09 23:21 ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-07-09 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think the answer is neither.

i use a kvm switch.

- erik

@ 2006-07-10  0:28   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-07-10  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

KVMs are very useful... TrendNet has 4 port PS/2 KVMs for sub-$50USD...
In fact, NewEgg has the four port listed for $35USD + S&H. Easy enough...
-S

--
Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny,
To that goal long ago to me assigned.

He who enters his wife's dressing room is a philosopher or a fool. -- Balzac

* Re: [9fans] Planning a two-machine heterogeneous LAN
@ 2006-07-10  7:41   ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-07-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i use a kvm switch.

KVM-switches are great, however I have spotted two different 'versions' out there - the onces doing PS2/emulation (or rather, caring about PS/@ in any way) and the onces that don't. The problem is the mouse - if you switch from e.g. Plan9 to Windows on a 'cheap' KVM-switch, you may notice that the mouse does not work for a second or two - and when you switch back, you will notice that the mouse does not work completely anymore. I have both versions of such switches here, the onces which 'don't work with Plan9' are not connected to the power-grid, maybe that is an indication (no powergrid, no PS/2-emulation).

I must admit I am not familar with the PS/2 specifications, so I have no idea about the why.

* Re: [9fans] Planning a two-machine heterogeneous LAN
@ 2006-07-10  9:14     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-07-10  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm not so sure about that, since the KVMs I have here are 'powerless', yet
work fine with
everything I've thrown at them (including FreeVMS & colorFORTH). Plan9 is
equally
congenial with the switches I have here, but obviously your mileage will
vary.

--

@ 2006-07-10 15:15       ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

LiteStar numnums wrote:
> I'm not so sure about that, since the KVMs I have here are 'powerless',
> yet work fine with
> everything I've thrown at them (including FreeVMS & colorFORTH). Plan9
> is equally
> congenial with the switches I have here, but obviously your mileage will
> vary.

dumb kvm's are the best. The smarter they get, the higher the chance
they'll screw up. that's been our experience here anyway.

ron