* [9fans] plan9port rio not serving any fs?
@ 2008-02-07 14:52 Lluís Batlle
From: Lluís Batlle @ 2008-02-07 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Isn't the plan9port rio exporting its windows through any fd?

I use rio, but somehow I don't see any fd from it published at
`namespace`. Maybe that's normal. :)

Thanks,
Lluís.

* Re: [9fans] plan9port rio not serving any fs?
@ 2008-02-07 14:56 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-02-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

p9p rio doesn't use the Plan 9 file model and is not based on file
descriptors. it was written at a much earlier age and is a straight
X11 program that emulates the rio look and feel. it used to be called
'9wm'.

@ 2008-02-07 15:21   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> p9p rio doesn't use the Plan 9 file model and is not based on file
> descriptors. it was written at a much earlier age and is a straight
> X11 program that emulates the rio look and feel. it used to be called
> '9wm'.

in fact, 9wm is so old that it emulates 8½ back when ptys were really
non-standard.

; sed 10q<README
                        9wm Version 1.1
                   Copyright 1994 David Hogan.

What is 9wm?

9wm is an X window manager which attempts to emulate the Plan 9 window
manager 8-1/2 as far as possible within the constraints imposed by X.