* [9fans] status of ext2serv?
@ 2004-12-28 14:54 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-12-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What's the status of ext2serv?  Can it handle ext3 filesystems?
Is it read/write or read-only?

For various reasons I had to go out and get myself an additional
disk drive, thus I have the room to install plan 9.  However, all
my files are on ext3 filesystems, and it'd be nice to be able
to access them directly.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] status of ext2serv?
@ 2004-12-28 16:00 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2004-12-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What's the status of ext2serv?

Unsupported but more-or-less working.

> Can it handle ext3 filesystems?

No.

> Is it read/write or read-only?

Read/write (unless you start it with '-r' flag).

* Re: [9fans] status of ext2serv?
@ 2004-12-28 16:26   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-28 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > Can it handle ext3 filesystems?
>
> No.

Aren't you allowed to access ext3 file systems as
though they were ext2 as long as you set the fs dirty
bit or some such in order to say that you weren't
using the journal?  The layouts are the same so
read-only mode will definitely work and is okay.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] status of ext2serv?
@ 2004-12-28 17:52     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2004-12-28 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The layouts are the same so
> read-only mode will definitely work and is okay.

Sorry, I responded too quickly using intuition rather than research.
Russ is probably correct, but caution is advised if you're the first
to try this.

-- Richard