From: Dave Lukes <davel@anvil.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] python
Date: Fri,  5 Jan 2007 18:03:39 +1100	[thread overview]

There may be the germ of an insane but possibly usable idea here ...

What we need is a facility by which a program can glue together a bunch
of object files
when it's run ...

Now ?l can already do the gluing,
so why not replace any program that requires dynamic libraries with an
rc script
that links together all the required object files together on the fly
into a temporary file,
then executes the resultant file then removes it.

Yes, it's psychotic, but so are shared libs.

Of course, if you want to link at run-time rather than execute-time,
you're out of luck, but, pedantically, it will do most of what linux
does with .so files
with no changes lower down.

    DaveL
(who's on holiday in Sydney and thinks that the next plan9 conference
definitely ought to be here).