* [9fans] Question about v9fs on Gentoo
@ 2007-02-22 18:36 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2007-02-22 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Lost mail, sorry, I was saying ...

I tried both "-t 9p" and "-t 9P".

I don't know whether or not there is a specialized mount util,
as in FreeBSD.

If not, IMHO, mount should recognize the available fs from /proc.
9p/9P/... is not listed in /proc/filesystem, also when statically linked
in the kernel. I think It should be.

Adriano

* Re: [9fans] Question about v9fs on Gentoo
@ 2007-02-22 19:57         ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-02-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/22/07, Adriano Verardo <a.verardo@tecmav.com> wrote:
> Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
>
> > On 2/22/07, Adriano Verardo <a.verardo@tecmav.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ron minnich wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, I was saying ...
> >>
> >> I tried both "9p" and "9P".
> >>
> >> I don't know whether or not there is a specialized mount utils,
> >> as in FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> If not, IMHO, mount should recognize the available fs from /proc.
> >> 9p is not listed in /proc/filesystem, also when statically linked in the
> >> kernel. I think It should be.
> >>

> > If there is no 9p, 9p2000, or 9P in /proc/filesystems, there is
> > something wrong with the way you have built your kernel or kernel
> > module.
> I see.
> When you compile it as a module and than insmod it, do you
> > see anything funny in /var/log/messages or dmesg?
>

> I tried all possible ways to configure 9p.
>
> Loadable module: 9p is in the lsmod output.
> In-Kernel: in /var/log/dmesg I see "Activated 9P2000 ..."
>
> In any case:
> - no reference in /proc/filesystem
> - mount -t 9p 127.0.0.1 /mnt -o debug=0xf
>      -> Unknown file system type '9p'

Just realized there was a bug I fixed a while back "9p: fix bogus
return code checks during initialization" which is probably causing
your problem.

It went in Jan 26th, 2007, which would have been well after 2.6.19 was out.
If its easy, upgrade to 2.6.20 and the problem should go away, if that
isn't easy, backport just the fs/9p from 2.6.20 to 2.6.19.  This was
my bad -- there was a period between 2.6.17 and 2.6.20 where I didn't
do a good job regressing stuff, and some bogus return-code checks
slipped in which screw up initialization.

         -eric

* Re: [9fans] Question about v9fs on Gentoo
@ 2007-02-22 19:27       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2007-02-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-02-22 19:14     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-02-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/22/07, Adriano Verardo <a.verardo@tecmav.com> wrote:
> ron minnich wrote:
>
> Sorry, I was saying ...
>
> I tried both "9p" and "9P".
>
> I don't know whether or not there is a specialized mount utils,
> as in FreeBSD.
>
> If not, IMHO, mount should recognize the available fs from /proc.
> 9p is not listed in /proc/filesystem, also when statically linked in the
> kernel. I think It should be.

If there is no 9p, 9p2000, or 9P in /proc/filesystems, there is
something wrong with the way you have built your kernel or kernel
module.  When you compile it as a module and than insmod it, do you

@ 2007-02-22 19:13     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-02-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/22/07, Adriano Verardo <a.verardo@tecmav.com> wrote:

> I don't know whether or not there is a specialized mount utils,
> as in FreeBSD.

no, there has not been, for some years now.

> If not, IMHO, mount should recognize the available fs from /proc.
> 9p is not listed in /proc/filesystem, also when statically linked in the
> kernel. I think It should be.

if 9p is not listed in /proc/filesystems, then you have a config
problem. You need to resolve that first. That's why I asked if we
could see your /proc/filesystems.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Question about v9fs on Gentoo
@ 2007-02-22 18:39     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-02-22 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can you send me a dump of your command line, also try once with debug enabled:

@ 2007-02-22 18:28   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-02-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think it will work when spelled with a lowercase "p" as in "9p".

- erik

@ 2007-02-22 18:16   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2007-02-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-02-22 18:14   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2007-02-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-02-22 18:07   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2007-02-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Latchesar Ionkov wrote:

> Try 9p instead of 9P.

Of course I tried both upper and lower case.
I don't kwow whet

@ 2007-02-22 17:59 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-02-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Which kernel version?

Or better yet, cat /proc/filesystems with the v9fs module installed.
You'll see either 9P2000, 9P, or 9p depending on kernel version, then
you should be able to use that as the argument to mount -t (ie. mount
-t 9p 127.0.0.1)

There was some unfortunate churn in the naming of the fs, but we've
now settled on 9p.

          -eric

@ 2007-02-22 17:52 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-02-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-02-22 17:52 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-02-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try 9p instead of 9P.

Thanks,
	Lucho

On Feb 22, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Adriano Verardo wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I've configured Gentoo' v9fs without any problems (both dynamic and
> in-kernel) but I cannot use it because the mount utility doesn't
> recognize the "9P" file system type.
>
> Where can I find the correct mount util ?
> From p9p ?
>
> Thanks.

* [9fans] Question about v9fs on Gentoo
@ 2007-02-22 17:46 Adriano Verardo