* [9fans] plan9 function names
@ 2007-03-07 18:36 Michael Teichgräber
From: Michael Teichgräber @ 2007-03-07 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

is there a reason why underscores are avoided in most function and
variable names on Plan 9? I have used this style for a while now, and
it seems to me that it increases the over-all code readability, as
names or function calls can be more easily recognized. Without
underscores one has to look for shorter or more to the point
function/variable names. But sometimes an ambiguity might remain, since
words are not separated from each other.

Or, is it just a habit without a specific reason?

Michael

* Re: [9fans] plan9 function names
@ 2007-03-08  1:17 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-03-08  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/pikestyle.html

@ 2007-03-08  9:38 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-03-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is there a reason why underscores are avoided in most function and
> variable names on Plan 9? ...

As with any matter of programming style, it's what the people
chose to do because they thought it worked better for them.
SomePeoplePreferThisStyle to a_style_using_underscores.

Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk

* Re: [9fans] plan9 function names
@ 2007-03-08 12:22 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-08 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Mar  8 04:48:10 EST 2007, DAGwyn@null.net wrote:
> > is there a reason why underscores are avoided in most function and
> > variable names on Plan 9? ...
>
> As with any matter of programming style, it's what the people
> chose to do because they thought it worked better for them.
> SomePeoplePreferThisStyle to a_style_using_underscores.

but plan 9 prefers style.

- erik