From: bituman <bituman@enerla.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] fossil+venti backup question
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:42:04 +0200	[thread overview]

> this means you can connect to different file trees.  so i can connect
> to kibbiee like this
>
> 	; srv il!kibbiee kibbiee
>
> then mount the other filesystem, dump or main respectively
>
> 	; mount /srv/kibbiee /n/other other
> 	; mount /srv/kibbiee /n/dump dump

^^ this is exactly what id like to do
to have a plan9 machine at work (which is the best way to learn plan9
becouse my spare time is very limited and at work i am forced to play
with it)
i have to make good use to it. We need a file server (ftp server) with
some decent backup features.
I understand venti doesnt like unexpected reboots, but the machine will
run 24/7 (if things dont turn nasty at our ISP)
I thought about plan9 since i can serve current files, and can serve
dumps at the same time.
For this task then i will need fossil+venti right?
Do you have any strong advice against using plan9 for this particular task?
Can the hourly backup be done than? Im browsing through the man pages
atm still reading..
Having a daily backup and having todays backup modified every hour is a
solution, but i would prefer backups for every hour if possible.
Thank you in advance