* [9fans] VIA  VT8237 SATA/RAID
@ 2007-04-16 11:10 matt
From: matt @ 2007-04-16 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have an MSI K8T NEO2 FIR Motherboard with on-board VT8237 SATA/RAID

I connected two SATA drives to it and used the BIOS Raid creator to
create a striped RAID set.

When I booted into Plan 9 I didn't get the single striped drive I was
hoping for :

--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht    15990784 Mar  5  2006 sdE0/data
-lrw------- S 0 maht maht           0 Mar  5  2006 sdE0/raw
--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht           0 Mar  5  2006 sdE0/ctl
--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht    15990784 Mar  5  2006 sdF0/data
-lrw------- S 0 maht maht           0 Mar  5  2006 sdF0/raw
--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht           0 Mar  5  2006 sdF0/ctl

(yes they are 16Mb drives - they're compact flash in a SATA adapter)

I rebooted and formatted them as FAT with Windows to test the striping
which worked fine but but the result in Plan 9 was the same.

I have an on-board SiL 3114 SATA/RAID at work so I'll try that one next

* Re: [9fans] VIA  VT8237 SATA/RAID
@ 2007-04-16 12:30 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-04-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it sounds like plan 9 is not recognizing the via sata "raid".
from what i've read about this chipset, this is fake raid.
generally chipsets with fake raid present their drives as
legacy ata unless you fiddle with the correct registers.  but
in this case, i'm just guessing.  linux doesn't appear to
recognize raid mode for the 8237's vt6240, although it
does set up native mode.

why not compare sd[EF]0/data.  if they are the same and
you can mount one
	mount /srv/dos /n/e: /dev/sdE0/data
then you could use '#k' to do the mirroring in software.

- erik

@ 2007-04-16 13:02   ` matt
From: matt @ 2007-04-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks to Ex-Cyber for this http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

You're right, it's a fake RAID

I just re-read fs(3) for #k and see interleaving of disks rather than
mirroring

I shall take a look at that because I'm chasing RAID 0 not RAID 1

or rather I'm chasing I/O speed for CF and not really in plan9 because
of no firewire, I'm just reporting in :)