* [9fans] troff bug?
@ 2009-01-15 16:45 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-01-15 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
I have written a couple of documents using plan 9's troff utility, but
it can be safely assured that I am a troff newbie.
Now I have to write some sort of manual, and I am using eqn(1) to
write all the formulas and equations, but I ran into trouble as soon
as I had to write a ≥ character.
First of all I tried the eqn(1) approach, using something like $>= 1$
or $"" >= 1$ with $$ as delimiters. It did not work and produces a 'g
1' in the ps output. After a couple of attempts I decided not to use
the eqn(1) approach and I moved to just the troff syntax, so I wrote
'\(<= 1' to get the character, but no success, the output is still 'g
1'. Finally I remembered UTF so I just wrote '≥1', but again it
failed, but this time with no output at all. Is this a bug in troff?
and for me it raises a bigger question, isn't plan 9 and its utilities
supposed to support UTF-8?
Note that the command I am using is

9 eqn manual.ms | 9 troff -ms | tr2post > manual.ps

I think that this is probably a bug in plan9's troff (or maybe I am
doing something wrong) since with groff

eqn manual.ms | groff -ms -Tps > manual.ps

works just fine with the eqn(1) aproach and with the troff aproach.

--
Saludos

Hugo