From: W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Newbie Questions
Date: Mon,  4 Jun 2007 05:33:24 -0400	[thread overview]

chutsu@gmail.com wrote:
> actually in relation to what you guys are saying...have you heard of
> "Mylivesearch.com", its a development team in Aussie that claims they
> have a better searching algorithm than google. Their argument is that
> their search engine searches through the web simutanously(hence LIVE),
> so instead of indexing all the pages like google does.
>
> The search engine is still under development..but its nearly
> done....mid to end of June?? I think...would be quite interesting to
> see how it all turns out. I think I'm becomming a bit too relient to
> the whole google thing...and I'm not too sure thats good for me!

'Better' search engines have a great deal to do with whom is seeking what, and
from whence.

It isn't hard to benchmark one - or several - 'better' searches.

Where Google shines vs, for example, what AltaVista used to be, or 'Dialog' even
earlier, is getting it 'good enough' often enough, cheap enough, and fast enough ..

AND ...

...doing it for such a massive sustained and peak global request load.

That last part - plus several years of head-start on the infrastructure to
support it - is the hardest to match, let alone beat.

So we may be far more 'stuck with' Google than anyone is with Winwoes...

Not to say we might not want to move them off our 'first choice' preference
settings.  Or try to live without them altogether, if only 'coz 'Big
Brother'ism' is already bad enough without their making it worse.

Bill