* [9fans] plan9 on VMware, venti on p9p, mostly works
@ 2007-06-08  0:08 Adrian Tritschler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2007-06-08  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on VMware, venti on p9p, mostly works
@ 2007-06-08  0:23 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-06-08  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have to use VMware on the system for work-related porpoises

I hate it when dolphins get involved with machine emulation.

:-)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on VMware, venti on p9p, mostly works
@ 2007-06-08  0:24 ` Mahmoud AlGammal
From: Mahmoud AlGammal @ 2007-06-08  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Actually it was me who created that image (and 7zip was used because I don't
have a wide uplink, and I wanted to upload the file quickly). As a solution
for the problems you mentioned, I suggest using drawterm to connect to your
VM. This should solve the two problems you describe, and you also won't need
to press Ctrl+Alt every time you switch from host to guest or vice versa.

On 6/8/07, Adrian Tritschler <ajft@ajft.org> wrote:

--
Mahmoud AlGammal
http://blog.gammal.org/

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on VMware, venti on p9p, mostly works
@ 2007-06-08  0:31 ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2007-06-08  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hola,

yes, it works, every now an then I get a private mail asking for help to set
up Plan 9 on vmware :)

> Just in case anyone is interested, it does seem possible to run the
> current plan9 in VMware workstation v5.
>
> I found a VMware image at
> http://blog.gammal.org/2007/05/plan9-vmware-image.html
> (compressed with a weird PC-dude-type compressor)

heh, 7zip is not that weird ;)

> The only problems I've found is that cut/snarf don't seem to work
> correctly, the snarf buffer seems to always be full of what was
> copied/cut on the host system, and the mouse cursor won't always behave
> itself -- sometimes when it gets into the lower 20% of the screen it
> leaps straight to the bottom, and a bit to the left.
>
> Any suggestions on fixing the mouse?  I use "mouseport=ps2" in plan9.ini

I set mouseport to ps2intellimouse, the snaf thing you're talking about it's
because vmware guys changed something, the magic is in /386/bin/aux/vmware
(note, it's a script) basically you have to comment the line that runs aux/stub
and the one that binds /mnt/vmware/snarf over /dev/snarf, I also have the
echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl there instead of in /rc/bin/termrc, since I use
vmware to boot a Plan 9 installed in harddisk.

making your vmware Plan 9 a cpu server and drawterming to it is a better choice.

--
Federico G. Benavento